Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAMing plaster pool, too much chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Meriden, CT

SLAMing plaster pool, too much chlorine?

Is there such a thing as adding too much chlorine in a plaster pool during a slam? The recommended slam level I got from the poolcalc was 20 (CYA is 50) for my roughly 23K pool. PH is 7.6 and total alkalinity is 90 if that's relevant.

My pool is pretty green and I've been scooping/brushing algae away for a week. I currently have no metal in the pool (ladder and railing are still in storage), and I don't plan on swimming in it for at least a week. So unless I'm overlooking something, would adding enough bleach to get it to say 50 (or even 100, although I wouldn't do that) cause any harm? I don't want it to drop below 20 overnight
    20K gallon, Plaster IG. Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: SLAMing plaster pool, too much chlorine?

DON'T DO IT! Too much FC to that extreme will burn off too rapidly to do you any good and possibly damage your equipment. Patience grasshopper!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: SLAMing plaster pool, too much chlorine?

Yes, Richard will stop by to give you a can of POP. It will be a big waste of bleach.

The best ways to speed a SLAM are:
    Scoop everything out of the pool
    Brush several times per day to expose the algae to chlorine and kill it faster
    Early on test every 2-3 hours and add back to SLAM level
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach