Anyone tried Cool! from Encore Coatings?

May 22, 2011
My deck is KoolDeck and it's spalding and cracked. I've got someone coming out to level the deck and then I want to recover it, preferably something I can roll on. I found this Cool! product online but am having trouble find pictures of where it's been used, but all reviews I find are positive. Anyone had experience with it?

I haven't used it, but was considering it for our upcoming pool deck. The reviews on Amazon seem good, and when I asked a question there someone responded with their positive experience of 3 years.

There is a negative review on YouTube if you haven't found it already, with a guy who used the product in a similar situation to yours. You might want to look into it. I don't know the veracity of his claims, but the company does seem to admit that the product can't reduce temps as much when applied over an existing product layer (as opposed to over regular concrete) because the first product acts as a barrier to the "heat sink" action. They do say that it will maintain at least the same temperature as the original Kool deck surface. Cosmetically, I'm not sure how it works over something like Kool. That's where this guy had a gripe, but the company claimed he didn't prepare the deck properly or something.

I too am interested in firsthand experience with the Cool! product. This is just what I've learned from my own research so far. I hope it helps.

I just found this helpful link from this site that gives a positive review from one guy's professional experience: Encore Cool Pool for Concrete Decking

I hope it helps. I think I'm really leaning towards using this product. It has the benefits of being cool, I can make it any color I want, and I can easily make my existing patio match the pool deck.

Does this make sense...

Someone online is claiming that this product is only a gallon of concrete adhesive and a small bag of white sand mixed in a five gallon bucket with a gallon of latex paint (which the instructions say you will need to buy), and therefore is a huge ripoff and you can make it just as easily yourself.The instructions from the company to ensure you get the warranty is to properly prepare the concrete with some sort of etcher/cleaner that they sell, apply two coats if the product, then 2 coats of sealer.

My question would be, if this is all that the product really is, would it actually give the 38% cooling reduction that they say?It's supposed to act as a "heat sink" so the paint color you choose isn't supposed to matter. Would with above products do that?

I'm willing to entertain that there is more to the product than the above person claims, but since the instructions emphasized the proper preparation of the concrete so much (to the point where the lady at the company told me I'd even need to use the concrete cleaner on brand new concrete), not to mention to the two coats of sealer, is that more of an indication that the product isn't as special as it seems?

Just looking for people's best opinions based on experience working with other concrete surfacing applications. I know not many people here have actual experience with this product, but you may understand some of the principles involved more than I do.

Thanks!

Here is the product link for your reference
Cool Pool Decks | Concrete Cooling Coatings | Encore Coatings

Last edited:
What is your current concrete surface that you mention grinding down?

A lot of installers use a grinder (looks like a terrazzo grinder) to prep the existing concrete for topping with various materials. I'm guessing (because I'm not an installer) that this removes the top 1/16 - 1/8 where most of the contaminants (dirts and oils) would be. Also the surface is almost always the weakest area in the slab, due to improper finishing techniques. When this isn't done, I've see plenty of floors, garage floors in particular, suffer coating delamination within a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.