The Never Ending Pool Project in AR

Jan 13, 2015
Arkansas
I haven't posted in a LONG time - months ago asking for advice on choosing a PB. Well, we chose one and signed in February with an expected end date of April. THEN we got a big snow. We didn't get to start the dig until the end of March. THEN we got torrential, monsoon rains daily - we have never had so much rain. So here we are, mid June, not done. <sigh> We went with a 20x40 vinyl liner pool, saltwater filtration and heater, rock coping and rock tanning ledge, with a 3 person sit and spa at the deep end. 25% is 3.5 ft, 50% is 4 ft, and 25% is 6 ft. No diving or anything. We designed the shape and took the advice of getting A LOT of decking. We already have a 10x20 existing concrete pad we are attaching to.

The rain finally let up enough for us to get all the walls up and then there were some problems with the PB. Perhaps I am being ridiculous, but I would think a contractor works based on the weather, not the calendar. We would have days of rain and then it let up and dry out on a weekend and no show. Perhaps I expected too much? I don't think he realized my daughter was home every single day watching and she gave full reports. There were days he would be alone or only work a couple of hours. He was supposed to only be working on my pool but had another he was finishing. All very frustrating. My husband works overseas and is only home short periods of time and this pool should have been done months before he came home. He is home now and only has two weeks left and the pool is not done. Not going to lie - I was furious. We sat down with the PB and laid it all out. He admitted that while the weather had been horrible (and it was) that he hadn't put the effort in he should have. The amount of work that has happened since that talk has been amazing - and makes me angry bc this would have been done a long time ago had he worked like this from the start. <sigh>

Here are some pics with the walls up and the tanning ledge walls.

We are at the point where vermiculite is down and needs sanded, the equipment is on the pad and needs hooked up, and the electrician needs to come pull wire. Then putting the liner (that hasn't arrived yet) in. All the rock coping and the tanning ledge is done.

He has one more decking area to pour, the retaining wall, steps at the deep end that go up to the barn, and getting the last huge pile of dirt out of the yard and smoothing out.

I feel like summer will be over before they are completely finished and I have my yard, my pool, and my privacy. On a good note, I have no doubt the pool will be perfect and I won't have any problems with it. PB is very meticulous. He is filling the pool for free bc he knows this has gone way beyond our contract date.

On a good note, that big barn in the picture has recently been converted. It is a 40x50 with a 10x20 (once) tackroom. We converted that tackroom and the front half into a bar with a bathroom for the pool. It has concrete floors and the walls and ceiling are all in red cedar. The back half will be left open for the lawnmower, UTV, 4 wheeler, etc. The pool equipment is on a pad under the lean to and we will convert the rest of that into a covered deck that you can get to from inside the bar. We still have to finish the bathroom and hang doors and decorate inside the bar and do a MAJOR cleanup on the backside. But when all this is done, we will have a nice little backyard oasis with the pool equidistant from the house and the bar. Then I get to talk hubby into a pergola and hot tub on all that extra decking next year. :cool:

i love things that are original and that cranny for your lounge chairs is really cool. where did u get those chaise lounges btw? it's going to look wonderful! so nice that the pb is meticulous, however, so sad that you won't be able to enjoy the pool with your husband while he's home. how much longer does he say at this point?

I can't remember where we got them. My husband found them online and I ordered them months ago. IF we don't get the rain they are calling for this week and IF the liner comes in, the pool could be done by Friday. He will still have other things to finish up but he is really focused on the pool bc he knows time is short and he really dragged his heels. But he has told us 2 weeks more times than I can count. I love the tanning ledge and can see myself spending a lot of time reading right there.

Very nice! That tanning area is cool. Never seen one done with a vinyl pool before. The weather here has been atrocious!!! Worst I can remember in years. Enjoy your pool. Post some more pics when you get the liner in.

Thanks - we are proud of it. I had to go back through the multiple "pool" purchases I have made recently and I actually ordered the chairs through Walmart.com. They are made and shipped from a company called Best Choice Products for about $65 each. I just checked and they don't have any available. I hope that is a temporary thing bc if I need to replace one....

Yes - that is a tanning ledge with its own skimmer and return. It will have 10 inches of water in it. Thank you. We love the stone, too. They had all that stone done in about a week - a 72 year old man and his worker hand laying, cutting and shaping all that stone. He was amazing to watch.

Well, we got a bunch of rain yesterday and they are calling for another monsoon this afternoon - a flash flood watch. PB isn't here as of 9:12 am. Steps did get finished yesterday and some of the equipment hooked up. I am beginning to think that putting in a pool is like washing the car - it triggers some sort of cosmic joke that dictates there must be rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.