Water slightly cloudy

suzook

Apr 15, 2014
Stony Brook, NY
My water is very slightly cloudy. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I see it. All levels are perfect, no chlorine loss, so I'm not fighting an algae problem. My pump runs 6 hours a day. I'm thinking maybe a backwash, and new fill with de are in order????? Any other ideas?

FC 4 ppm
PH 7.6
TA 60
CYA 70
Salt 3000 ppm
Taylor tf100 kit

I haven't backwashed since pool was opened in beginning of may, but my pressure hasn't increased at all since. I'm just thinking maybe the guys who opened, didn't put enough de in?? So maybe a backwash to clear, then add proper amount???

How often have you been testing your chlorine? While 4 isn't technically below the minimum CL with CYA of 70 in a salt pool, your target is 5. If it could have been dropping lower when SWG is off, you COULD have the start of algea.

I know I'm in a different climate with 100 degree days with sun and 90 degree water, but I can almost COUNT on issues with my water if I drop below the TARGET level. I'm also at 70 CYA and I'm still targeting closer to 8 with my SWG. I've fought algea enough with SLAMing my pool and just know how it behaves. I get critters in the skimmers overnight dead and alive (even rodents) so I'm way more comfortable targeting the higher number of the non SWG to compensate for those unknown chlorine consumption risks.

Yep, +1 on what AimeeH says. I have CYA of 70, SWG and also target 8 FC. I would go higher if the PH test worked. But, my PH rises too fast to risk not testing it at least weekly. I've been working a little algae problem since Saturday after the kids swam for hours everyday and the water was 88-90. And my water did not cloud, I just have a dozen or so algae spots.

I like your idea about backwashing and adding DE.

Actually no. Other threads on this subject confirm that you can have a CC of zero but still have an algae issue. That's why other factors (i.e. OCLT) are used in concert to base a decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's on example: Algae detection?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A little update. I redid tests.( Sunday when I did them, I just finished a 6pack of sam adams west coast IPA!!!)
FC 4 ppm
PH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 50
Salt 3000 ppm

Apparently my CYA is pretty low. Im bumping that up, along with a backwash, refill of DE, then a slam. 2 hours later, my pool looks almost perfect!!! I am going to get all levels in line where they should exactly be, along with increase my VS pump run time. I was only running it 6 hours a day. Gonna bump it up to 8. I will update in a couple of days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.