Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water slightly cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Water slightly cloudy

My water is very slightly cloudy. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I see it. All levels are perfect, no chlorine loss, so I'm not fighting an algae problem. My pump runs 6 hours a day. I'm thinking maybe a backwash, and new fill with de are in order????? Any other ideas?
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water slightly cloudy

Hard to tell. Backwash? Perhaps. Any chance you could post all of your test numbers for the crew here to review? Also let us know which test set was used? Sometimes that answers a lot of questions for us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Backwash couldn't hurt ---------when is the last time you did?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the pressure up 25% from clean pressure? If not then just add the DE?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

FC 4 ppm
    PH 7.6
    TA 60
    CYA 70
    Salt 3000 ppm
    Taylor tf100 kit

I haven't backwashed since pool was opened in beginning of may, but my pressure hasn't increased at all since. I'm just thinking maybe the guys who opened, didn't put enough de in?? So maybe a backwash to clear, then add proper amount???
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

How often have you been testing your chlorine? While 4 isn't technically below the minimum CL with CYA of 70 in a salt pool, your target is 5. If it could have been dropping lower when SWG is off, you COULD have the start of algea.

I know I'm in a different climate with 100 degree days with sun and 90 degree water, but I can almost COUNT on issues with my water if I drop below the TARGET level. I'm also at 70 CYA and I'm still targeting closer to 8 with my SWG. I've fought algea enough with SLAMing my pool and just know how it behaves. I get critters in the skimmers overnight dead and alive (even rodents) so I'm way more comfortable targeting the higher number of the non SWG to compensate for those unknown chlorine consumption risks.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, +1 on what AimeeH says. I have CYA of 70, SWG and also target 8 FC. I would go higher if the PH test worked. But, my PH rises too fast to risk not testing it at least weekly. I've been working a little algae problem since Saturday after the kids swam for hours everyday and the water was 88-90. And my water did not cloud, I just have a dozen or so algae spots.

I like your idea about backwashing and adding DE.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Guess I will bump the chlorine levels up, AND do a backwash and de add.

9. Back To Top    #9

Another side note....my cc is zero...doesn't that indicate nothing is going on????

10. Back To Top    #10

Actually no. Other threads on this subject confirm that you can have a CC of zero but still have an algae issue. That's why other factors (i.e. OCLT) are used in concert to base a decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's on example: Algae detection?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I've never had CC reading in my pool. Even when fighting visible algea spots.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

12. Back To Top    #12

I had 0 CC last Saturday and Sunday and some algae spots due to low FC. 0 CC is good, but really more than 0.5 CC indicates that something is going on.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

A little update. I redid tests.( Sunday when I did them, I just finished a 6pack of sam adams west coast IPA!!!)
    FC 4 ppm
    PH 7.6
    TA 80
    CYA 50
    Salt 3000 ppm

Apparently my CYA is pretty low. Im bumping that up, along with a backwash, refill of DE, then a slam. 2 hours later, my pool looks almost perfect!!! I am going to get all levels in line where they should exactly be, along with increase my VS pump run time. I was only running it 6 hours a day. Gonna bump it up to 8. I will update in a couple of days.

14. Back To Top    #14

Good plan, maybe move the sam adams to after testing.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Good plan, maybe move the sam adams to after testing.
    Lol! Last update.....all levels are perfect, and water is so clear and sparkles like a diamond!!! Now I just need some sun. Cloudy all week, this weekend gonna be a rainout. Bummer.

16. Back To Top    #16

LOL So YOUR jewel like pool is why it is going to rain up there???

Of course it is going to rain all weekend when your pool has it sparkle back!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    LOL So YOUR jewel like pool is why it is going to rain up there???

Of course it is going to rain all weekend when your pool has it sparkle back!

Kim
    Maybe i should make the pool cloudy again, and the sun will return??? LOL.