SwampClean 2015 - opening the pool!

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
Hey Folks, hopefully some of you remember me from last season. At the end of the season, I literally did nothing to the pool. No closing...no cover...I just let it turn to swamp. A couple of days ago, I started the process of cleaning up the mess. Unfortunately I did not take a picture at the start of the process but trust me...it looked WAY worse then it does now! It was part green, part black...algae slicks sitting on the top of the water and mosquito city! Tons of bug life in that pool!

Anyway...I had someone give me about 15 bags of HTH shock so I figured what the hey...i'd throw it in there and then continue with bleach. I had hoped it would add some CYA with it but after testing today...I have ZERO CYA so that was a bust. Although, the bags did help turn the water a very foggy gray so I counted it progress and prepared to start the tried and true TFP method. So today, I break out the ol' faithful TF100 test kit to do my drop test...and wouldn't ya know it, OUT OF POWDER!!! So...can't test for that! So I did just the basic CH test, and it was suprizingly ZERO. Even though my water looked better...something sucked up all 15 bags of shock, and 3 gal of Chlorox 8.25%!!! I was shocked! So, I put on my shorts and made my way into the pool where I could not see the bottom. Sure enough, dead algae everywhere under my feet. So I just start scooping it up. I was dragging up so much sludge, I almost couldn't lift my net out of the water! I spent about an hour and a half just scooping it out. Then, I scrubbed the bottom of the pool and made my exit to start the slam (even though I can't properly test until I get some reagents (already ordered!) Now, I have turned the pool green again after moving all that around. And yes, I have cleaned the filter a couple of times already! ;-)

Now, for bleach I went to Home depot and purchased 2 cases of this 10% stuff:
e17dac0e-4dbb-4f3e-93c6-5caac20209ec_1000.jpg

According to pool math, I should use 321oz to reach a goal of 13. I went ahead and put 4 gallons in there.

I have not tested anything other then PH and that is 7.5

and I used the basic test for the CH and the picture from that is here (by the color i'd say its pretty high for the moment!):
20150614_183502_zpsctsjpmqq.jpg

Here is a picture of the pool in it's current state:

20150614_183131_zps6awqzhrk.jpg
[/URL]

Question: With there being ZERO CYA...should I add some while I am shocking? Will it help keep some Chlorine around a little longer...or not really helpful at this stage?

Thanks,
Steve ;-)

Go find the empty bags and doublecheck what was in that shock powder. It might take a few days for CYA to register, or you maybe didn't add enough to read, but it's there.

A green pool that has lost all its CYA probably had it all decompose into ammonia. Same solution - bleach.

But you do want about 30 CYA in for the SLAM, which makes the target 12 FC, which is about where you're at. From my own research (which I hunted down here using search) Blinding yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. I never went any higher than that, but it's been reliably reported that it eventually will turn brown if you get high enough. It's not terribly accurate. You won't be SLAMming effectively until your refills arrive. But if you stop now, it'll start regaining it's green complexion. Your call.

Hey Richard! Thanks so much. I have 4 more gallons I can add in the morning or tomorrow afternoon...and I will pick up another case while i am out tomorrow!

I will try to hunt down those bags...(although I may have tossed em out already!) I put the bags in there on Friday...today is sunday and CYA test showed nothing. Think from Friday to Sunday it would show???

I have some CYA here and can add it but I would hate to find out in another day or two that my CYA spikes because of the shock bags?!?!

Thanks so much for all your help!!! Glad to see you are still here! You helped me so much last season, as well!!! ;-)

Ok, so I have been doing the best I can to keep bleach in the pool while waiting on reagents but it has been guess work at best. A couple of times because I was not home to attend, the pool dropped back to ZERO clor. I have put in 13 gal. of 10% bleach so far.

The pool is BLUE again (picture below). but still can't see the bottom. I have added 4.5lbs of CYA but it is barely showing in the test yet. I can fill the tube up and still see the dot. Although it is cloudy now so that is a positive sign that the CYA is getting in there. :)

Got the reagents now and here were my results this morning at 7am.

C = 10
Fc = 2
Ch = 225
Ta = 90
Ph = 7.2

About to leave for the day and I poured 3 more gal of 10% to hold it while I am gone. I will be gone until this evening so I hope it does the trick until I get home. :)

Heading in the right direction! But still not where i'd like. Rain yesterday, and more expected today and tomorrow!!!

Anyway....thoughts, comments?

Steve

20150615_173231_zpsirz4vboc.jpg
[/URL]

I was confused when I read your first post and you referred to the TC (total chlorine) as CH (calcium hardness), but I figured it out.

You did good by adding CYA - as I recall, the HTH powdered shock is cal-hypo, so it doesn't include any CYA, but will increase calcium hardness (CH). In order to effectively slam, you'll need to keep you FC levels up. This is difficult as it is with all of that organic matter binding to it converting it to CC (combined chlorine) and virtually impossible with zero CYA protecting it from the sun.

You are doing good, but do not add any more CYA if you properly used the pool calculator and added the correct amount to get to your target in the beginning. Keep an eye on your PH - it's getting to the low end of the spectrum. May need to add a little borax to keep it up since you TA looks good and baking soda will end up raising both.

Don't let rain deter you.

HEY CASEY! Glad to see you still here!!! ;-) I enjoyed talking with you last summer! The pool is looking MUCH better this evening (even after a ton of hard rain!) just put another 3 gal. of 10% at this rate, I am expecting to see the bottem of the pool by tomorrow or the next day! (fingers crossed!)

- - - Updated - - -

I was confused when I read your first post and you referred to the TC (total chlorine) as CH (calcium hardness), but I figured it out.

You did good by adding CYA - as I recall, the HTH powdered shock is cal-hypo, so it doesn't include any CYA, but will increase calcium hardness (CH). In order to effectively slam, you'll need to keep you FC levels up. This is difficult as it is with all of that organic matter binding to it converting it to CC (combined chlorine) and virtually impossible with zero CYA protecting it from the sun.

You are doing good, but do not add any more CYA if you properly used the pool calculator and added the correct amount to get to your target in the beginning. Keep an eye on your PH - it's getting to the low end of the spectrum. May need to add a little borax to keep it up since you TA looks good and baking soda will end up raising both.

Thanks Jon! Will keep an eye on that PH for sure! I am worried that all the rain has diluted my CYA (that hasn't even started registering yet! :(

I filled up a pair of panty houses with the 4.5lbs of CYA and about half of it has released into the pool...half still dissolving.

Looking better for sure though!

this morning my numbers were:

C 14.5
FC 2
CYA is finaly registering at about 25. I still have some in the sock in the skimmer that hasnt completed dissolving yet. Also, we have had a TON of rain. My pool is at the brim.

But the water is a beautiful blue and I can ALMOST see the bottom! We are getting there! I couldn't do a test lastnight...the last time I put bleach in the pool was at about 5pm yesterday...didn't add any lastnight and still had 14.5 this morning. Not sure what the Over night drop was...but I didn't wake up to ZERO so I know were doing MUCH better!

I wonder what it might have been if we have not had a buttload of rain dummped on us all night lastnight and this morning! Rain is expected all day and night with expected 3 to 6 inch rain fall. My poor pool is going to be spilling over all my wonderful bleach and CYA!!! :)

Thoughts, Comments?

Thanks,
Steve

Alright...after adding 2 Gal. of 10% bleach at about 10am this morning, I left for the day. before I added the 2 gal. my FC was 14.5. I added the 2 gal. and checked it at 9pm tonight. My FC = 9 and I added 2 more gal. I am not sure if my FC would have lost 5.5 over 12 hours if it had not rained so much. My pool is litteraly at the brim and splashing over the edge every time the wind blows. I tend to believe it lost some...and what was there has been diluted with all the extra water!

Anyway...tonight the FC was 9 and the TC was 1.5

Thoughts, comments?

If my pool math is correct, by adding the 2 gal. tonight, it should raise my FC = 9 by 10 making it FC = 19. That should keep me well over shock levels until tomorrow morning when I will add more!

Thanks,
Steve

This morning readings:

Fc = 15

Tc = 2

CYA = 25

Ph = 7.5

Added 2 more gal. of 10% bleach this morning. Should raise the Fc to 25 and hold above shock through the day. Will test again tonight!

So it seems my Ph came up with all the rain..but my CYA is still just under par. I still have about 2 fist fulls of CYA in the pantyhose next to the skimmer basket to dessolve. Pool is blue and clearing but not there yet.

I am now at having used 15 bags of shock, and 28 gal. of 10% bleach and counting! The rain has cost me I am sure because it keeps diluting my chems.

Pressing on! ;-)

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks,
Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After being away from the pool for 9 hours...I came home to this:

Fc = 6

Tc = 1.5 GRRRR!!!!! Now im starting to loose my patience. Just added 2 more gal. of 10%...should bring me back up to about Fc = 15 but I feel like I lost SO MUCH today!

CYA still registering 20/25 ish. I have kept telling myself it would register higher after a few days...but it's not. I think the rain just over-rode the CYA I added. I guess I will add some more!

GRRRR!!!!

Still can't quite see the bottom.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Ok folks, I am in need of some serious encouragement/advise. Firstly, I am concerned that I have not really been getting comments on this thread as I attempt to progress through this process. I am starting to wonder if I have offended some people unintentionally around here! ;-)

With that being said...I have been trying to keep a positive attitude but the last couple of days have been hard because I just have not seen ANY change in the pool. in fact...it might seem like its not looking AS GOOD as it did just 3 days ago. I am really struggling because while I expect this process to take a LOT of bleach...I am feeling like I am beyond what should be a normal situation.

I put in 3 more gal. of 10% bleach last night bringing my total to 15 bags of hth shock, and 31 gal of 10% bleach! I knew to expect to use a lot...but 38 gal and still not seeing the bottom of the pool??? Seems something is wrong here.

My thoughts have been to dismiss it as "Oh the rain keeps diluting the chems" and "the CYA is still only at 20/25"...but This is becoming a real beat down.

Granted, the pool is OVER full by a few inches so that is a lot of extra gallons of water that the pool math calculator isn't taking in to account...but I am also over shooting my chemical additions to counter balance. It's a bit guess work but when I test, I seem to be getting it well over shock levels. While I have dropped below that due to being at work during the day...I come home and bring it back up...and I am still at shock levels in the morning. I have been running m pump on high 24/7. I likely need to clean the filter so I will do that tomorrow, however...my flow seems to be good so while im sure there is tons of dead stuff in that filter...I have not noticed any difference in the flow of the water. My psi is at about 20/22 ish.

This morning my readings were:

Fc: 14.5
Tc: 1.5
Ta: 90
Ph: 7.2
CYA: slightly below 30 (however I added almost half a gallon of liquid CYA through the skimmer last night according to pool math it should have gotten me to 40 and it has not!)

Please folks.....Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,
Steve

I am about to leave for the day...so I am going to add a couple gallons of bleach to hold it until the night. I will be gone until late tonight (DARIUS RUCKER CONCERT! YAY!)

woke up to Fc = 5 :(

On the bright side, CYA is finally up to 40!

Cleaned the filter this morning, we will see if that helps. Right now, the water is blue...ISH. can only see the first 2 steps in the water. I think its time to jump in and start scrubbing the walls. I am out of ideas and thoughts on this one. Someone please help?!?!

:(

Yes, brushing is a good idea. The slimy feeling algae has comes from a protective biofilm. Chlorine won't penetrate it. You have to scrub it off so the bleach can kill the algae. If you don't kill the algae, it reproduces. It sounds like you've reached the stalemate where it grows at the same rate you're killing it, so no progress.

The quickest SLAMs have been the ones where the chlorine gets replenished every couple hours and the pool gets scrubbed thoroughly and frequently. If you can devote a day off to monitoring the FC you should see some progress.

the thing is the walls are not slimy. Its course and rough.I had already gotten in the pool once and cleaned out the bottom of it and brushed it that's been about a week ago. but I didn't really tackle the walls. I'm going to get in there and work on that today. we have a wedding tomorrow. but then I'm off on Monday and home all day so it looks like Monday is just Pool cleaning day!

Yes, brushing is a good idea. The slimy feeling algae has comes from a protective biofilm. Chlorine won't penetrate it. You have to scrub it off so the bleach can kill the algae. If you don't kill the algae, it reproduces. It sounds like you've reached the stalemate where it grows at the same rate you're killing it, so no progress.

The quickest SLAMs have been the ones where the chlorine gets replenished every couple hours and the pool gets scrubbed thoroughly and frequently. If you can devote a day off to monitoring the FC you should see some progress.

What a rough road you have been on.

I bet that if you were able to brush the pool at least twice a day you will see some improvement. You have to stir stuff up for the filter to get it.

Good luck and take a pic a day so you will be able to see the slight changes in the color!

Kim

Thanks Kim!

I just spent 2 hours in the pool. it was blue when I got in it, but its all green again! ;-)

I found a few small pockets of an intact algae bloom that must have been what was sucking up all my bleach. I scrubbed the floors and broke it all up.

brought the Fc up to 20 and I am going to bed early! I did scrub the walls also and I got a lot of it smooth but I couldn't get it all tonight. Mostly the lower portion of the wall. I will have to tackle that again on Monday.

Anyway...thanks again for the comments Kim and Richard!

Steve

What a rough road you have been on.

I bet that if you were able to brush the pool at least twice a day you will see some improvement. You have to stir stuff up for the filter to get it.

Good luck and take a pic a day so you will be able to see the slight changes in the color!

Kim

Just keep at it and yes find a day or two where you can test every hour or two. On days that you can't do it all do, check every hour when you are home. The more often you stay at shock level for your FC, the better. Keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked the pool before going to bed. I was at 14.5 Fc. I added 16.9oz of 8.25% bleach according to pool math that should bring me up to slightly over shock. I will be up at 6:30 am to check it and add bleach. Tomorrow will be rough because my sisters wedding is tomorrow so I will be away from the house and pool for most of the day. I will likely just over shoot it to give a buffer while I am gone.

Thanks,
Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.