Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FlowVis Flow Meter Question

1. Back To Top    #1

FlowVis Flow Meter Question

I put this question in the pumps section, but wanted to pick your collective knowledge here. I am thinking of putting in a FlowVis flowmeter to measure the 'flow'. This way, I can calculate the number of hours to run my pump for 1 cycle per day. Question: Can I install the FlowVis meter after the pump "out" port, as shown? I am guessing the overall rate of flow will be the same anywhere in the system, right?

2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FlowVis Flow Meter Question

That would be a good place to put the flow meter as it has some length of straight pipe on either side. However if you are adding it just to find 1 turn per day, don't bother, the one turn per day rule of thumb for filtration, is just that a rule of thumb, and one with a rather LARGE error range as it may be. I would suggest you read Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: FlowVis Flow Meter Question

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    That would be a good place to put the flow meter as it has some length of straight pipe on either side. However if you are adding it just to find 1 turn per day, don't bother, the one turn per day rule of thumb for filtration, is just that a rule of thumb, and one with a rather LARGE error range as it may be. I would suggest you read Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Thanks @Issac-1. Although I can use the pump run time @ pool school, I am thinking this will become useful sometime later and I might as well get it installed when the plumbers are here. I guess I will ask them to put it in the straight section
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100