Should I SLAM?

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
Hello,

I am a new pool owner and I'm using the Taylor 2006-K test. All my numbers are good except Cl. Based on my current CYA level of 40ppm, I'm supposed to have FC level of 5ppm. I'm currently at 3ppm.

I believe my pool is clear based on the tests I've read on this forum:
1. I can see the screws attached to my main drain.
2. I can see whether a quarter on the floor of my pool is heads or tails.

Today, I noticed a greenish color on the walls of my pool at the shallow end. I brushed the walls and I can see a "dust of green" fall off the wall. I think it's algae. I'm not sure.

So my question is: Do I continue to add liquid chlorine to get to 5ppm or should I just SLAM?

Thank you!

Any chance it's just pollen?

Simplest thing is to run FC up to 10ish - it doesn't have to be exact - and let the pump run awhile, maybe even brush one lap around the pool to really get things mixed. Test FC after the sun goes down and no one else will be in the pool. Set the alarm clock and get out there and test the water again before the sun hits it tomorrow morning. Less than 1 FC loss, you're okay. Over 1 FC loss, you need to SLAM and you're already halfway to shock level AND you got a whole night's head start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.