Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I SLAM?

Hello,

I am a new pool owner and I'm using the Taylor 2006-K test. All my numbers are good except Cl. Based on my current CYA level of 40ppm, I'm supposed to have FC level of 5ppm. I'm currently at 3ppm.

I believe my pool is clear based on the tests I've read on this forum:
    1. I can see the screws attached to my main drain.
    2. I can see whether a quarter on the floor of my pool is heads or tails.

Today, I noticed a greenish color on the walls of my pool at the shallow end. I brushed the walls and I can see a "dust of green" fall off the wall. I think it's algae. I'm not sure.

So my question is: Do I continue to add liquid chlorine to get to 5ppm or should I just SLAM?

Thank you!
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I SLAM?

Any chance it's just pollen?

Simplest thing is to run FC up to 10ish - it doesn't have to be exact - and let the pump run awhile, maybe even brush one lap around the pool to really get things mixed. Test FC after the sun goes down and no one else will be in the pool. Set the alarm clock and get out there and test the water again before the sun hits it tomorrow morning. Less than 1 FC loss, you're okay. Over 1 FC loss, you need to SLAM and you're already halfway to shock level AND you got a whole night's head start.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you remind me how to tell between pollen and algae

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Can you remind me how to tell between pollen and algae
    Easiest way is to look around you. If the patio furniture and the windowsills and any parked cars nearby are covered with it, so's your pool.

Or read all the old threads about it: Search
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!