Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding bleach every other day

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding bleach every other day

I need to add about 160 ounces of bleach to my pool every other day. Every other reading for my pool water is perfect. Is this normal or is there something else going on?
    My CYA is 45.

Eddie
    30 foot round pool. 4 feet deep.
    21,200 gallons
    AG
    Sand filter
    Taylor FAS-DPD Testing kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding bleach every other day

I would say that's about right. 160 oz of 8.25% will give you 5ppm so your burning 2.5ppm a day. If it's say 12.5% then that might be on the high side. With 45 cya you should not be dropping below 4. I take it you target 9 every two days. Also as the summer heats up, your natural demand may go up.

17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Eddie. Initially it seems as though that much bleach may be explainable. Several factors could explain that kind of usage. But just to confirm ... how did you test the CYA? Your own kit? Which one? Also, the staff here would be glad to review all of your results if you care to share them with us just to make sure we don't see something you may not have considered. Best of luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

for a pool of yours size, i say thats about right.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!