Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Bleach for Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Bleach for Chlorine

How long do you have to wait to swim safely after adding 2-4 gallons of bleach? Also, can adding bleach damage the pool liner?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Using Bleach for Chlorine

We usually say 30 mins of the pump being on. No damage until you exceed mustard algae slam level.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Realize though, that this is not a bleach thing. The same damage will occur if you add large amounts of any type of chlorine. Shock, hockey pucks, bleach... The chlorine inside them is all the same. The difference is all the other unwanted stuff in the other forms.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

4. Back To Top    #4

Bleach is in fact liquid chlorine. The very same stuff pool stores and pool care companies use. The only difference is the strength. So as long as your pool water test results are in order, you can swim! Desired FC levels are individual, based on the pool's CYA (Stabilizer) levels, to maintain a clean pool.

You do have one of the two recommended test kits and test your own water.....right? If not- get thee up to the link at the top of the page and start reading "Pool School"

And yes, if you put too much chlorine in a vinyl lined pool, above what is needed and above what your CYA and algae killing level (SLAM level) is, it might hurt the liner.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Bleach is the same as liquid chlorine only less strong, same active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite. LC is 10-12% and bleach 6-8.25%. Ideentical ingredients.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

So about how much will I need to add to keep the chlorine level ~10 ppm? My CYA levels are fairly high, around 100, so I need to keep my FC pretty high as well. I have a ~24k gallon IG pool, and I have been using trichlor tabs for the past month or so. The pool calculator is telling me about 3 gallons of bleach.

7. Back To Top    #7

I know this is not what you want to hear, but you really need to do a vry large drain and fill to get your CYA down. Probably at least 50%. That is assuming your CYA really is 100 and not more.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP.

How are you testing your cya? If your testing it yourself, it could likely be way over 100 since the test only goes to 100.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

9. Back To Top    #9

What Steve says. With your CYA so high it is going to take a LOT of bleach to clear it up or to keep it clear.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

You probably ought to recheck that CYA reading using the dilution method in Extended Test Kit Directions. Post 8, Step 9.

I took over my pool and found CYA was somewhere between 220 & 240 and we were under water restrictions so draining would have cost me hundreds of dollars. I managed to maintain the pool with that level, but it was not easy, nor do I recommend it to anyone. But it is safe to swim in really high FC levels as long as they are proportional to the CYA level. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If you have the opportunity to do a partial drain and refill, do it. It's so much easier with CYA down in the 50-60 zone. I know this from firsthand experience. Worlds easier.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!