Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Dynamic Head - Hayward Ecostar

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Total Dynamic Head - Hayward Ecostar

Putting in a new pool and getting myself educated on the finer aspects of maintenance, chemistry, etc!
    I read somewhere that there is a formula to calculate the number of hours to run a pump to ensure 2 full circulations, but it took the Total Dynamic Head of the setup into consideration.

Now, I think I have to buy two gauges - One pressure and one vacuum.
    I was wondering if someone can help me figure out how to measure the TDH on a Hayward Costar pump (EcoStar | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products) and where should I have these gauges put in.

We are just finishing plumbing and I want to see if I can add these gauges permanently to the setup.

After reading, I am thinking of putting in a FlowVis FlowMeter, rather than mess around with Gauges...
    Question: Can I install a FlowVis Flow Meter AFTER the pump as shown below? Will that give me an accurate measure of the total 'flow' to help me calculate pool pump run duration?

2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Total Dynamic Head - Hayward Ecostar

We do not recommend any sort of total turnovers. Usually only a few hours of pump time is needed whether on low or high speed. See: Determine Pump Run Time

Further, there is no point in trying to figure out total head or the flow rate as shown by the link above.

If you want a FlowVis that location would be fine to see total flow, but it would be adding unnecessary head loss and those lowering your flow rate. I just put a FlowVis in a location where I needed a check valve anyway.

Based on your signature, a few comments:
    1. Are you using the ORP part of the Sense & Dispense? We do not recommend it
    2. We also do not recommend UV systems in outdoor residential pools ... especially in AZ where you get plenty of UV from the sun already
    3. We also do not recommend Ozone systems in outdoor residential pools

Sorry if these have been brought up before ... you could add a line in your signature stating you understand these are not typically recommended to stop us hounding you
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!