SLAM Continuance Question

Jun 3, 2015
Montgomery, TX
Afternoon,

Thanks for all the helpful links they have been great!!! Current SLAM is in progress and has been going well.

Brief history on my SLAM that is currently in progress due to a small Algae issue that I noticed on my walls. . TF-100 test kit used as well as and all the helpful links

Jun 9th - 8.30pm
FC= 2.5
CC=0.5
PH=7.5
TA=70
CH=300
CYA=40

Jun 10th - 8.30 ppm
FC= 1.5
CC=0.5
PH=7.5
TA=70
CH=300
CYA=40

Jun 10th - 9pm
Added 8 bottles of 101 oz of bleach in order to target FC 16 level

Jun 11th - Targeting to maintaining FC shock of 16. Adding quantities as necessary and using pool math calculator
7am - FC=19
2pm - FC=12.5
6pm - FC=9.5
10PM - FC=27.5

Jun12th - Targeting to maintaining FC shock of 16. Adding quantities as necessary and using pool math calculator
7am - FC=20
1pm - FC=17
4pm - FC=13.5

June 13th - Targeting to maintaining FC shock of 16. Adding quantities as necessary and using pool math calculator
7am - FC=15
2pm - FC=14.5
9pm - FC=16

June 14 - Targeting to maintaining FC shock of 16. Adding quantities as necessary and using pool math calculator
7am - FC=14.5
1pm - FC=15
3pm - FC=13.5

Reading up and in order to stop the SLAM I need to have the following:

1) Clear Water - Which I have
2) CC<0.5ppm
3) FC loss of <1.0ppm

Do I need to test my CYA again? I am still learning about the test kit and it seems to be going well but I always have a drop in chlorine overnight. It does not seem to want to drop by less than 1.0ppm. Is this pretty subjective or do I just need to ensure that I keep going and keep testing before bed and as soon as I get up in the am? The chlorinator has been turned off since June 10th and I am not adding any other chlorine other than the bleach after each test. It has rained some but has also been sunny.

I will post the FC results after 9pm which will be the last one for today and then again in the morning.

Any help would be much appreciated. See attached pictures for progress.

Thanks

Losing 1 FC every night makes me suspect algae lurking behind the pool light or beneath ladder rails or inside the skimmer throat or somewhere else not obvious.

If you've been having to backwash a lot, another CYA test would be a good idea when you finish the SLAM. Also if you plan to raise it when you're done.

Richard320 and I are virtually always on the same page. I think we still are here but I would interpret the 1 FC overnight loss just a little differently.......I think it's OK.
You have met the requirements to end your SLAM and I would do so. I would allow the FC to come down naturally and then maintain your FC around 3-4 ppm.

Go ahead and do the CYA test and bring it back to 40 or even 50 ppm in Texas, if necessary.

Your posts of your SLAM are very organized and reflect that you really understand what you are doing.....very nice work.

You may find some algae in those hidey-holes Richard320 is talking about but I tend to think of a 1 ppm loss as a fairly natural occurrence.

Ok. Thanks guys. You guys are the experts and this site is amazing for tips and forums.

Updated Testing

8.30pm

FC= 14

So the question is should I bring it up to FC 16 by adding additional chlorine before the night is over and retest after 30 mins in order to get the final reading before calling it a night? That way I can perform the OCLT test in the am and post the results for further guidance.

Pumps and cleaner have been running 24/7.

I have no ladder in the pool and have cleaned behind the lights. In addition I have run my waterfall for a couple hours each day.

Richard320 and I are virtually always on the same page. I think we still are here but I would interpret the 1 FC overnight loss just a little differently.......I think it's OK.
You have met the requirements to end your SLAM and I would do so. I would allow the FC to come down naturally and then maintain your FC around 3-4 ppm.

Go ahead and do the CYA test and bring it back to 40 or even 50 ppm in Texas, if necessary.

Your posts of your SLAM are very organized and reflect that you really understand what you are doing.....very nice work.

You may find some algae in those hidey-holes Richard320 is talking about but I tend to think of a 1 ppm loss as a fairly natural occurrence.

FC Level this morning was 14.5. Looks like no chlorine was lost overnight. Passed the OCLT!!!

Pool is clear and the CC<0.5. That means a succesfull SLAM.

So now the question is just let the FC drift back to the 3-7 ppm range and maintain?
When do I do the full tests again? Start tonight in order to make sure I am in the rigth levels?

FC Level this morning was 14.5. Looks like no chlorine was lost overnight. Passed the OCLT!!!

Pool is clear and the CC<0.5. That means a succesfull SLAM.

So now the question is just let the FC drift back to the 3-7 ppm range and maintain?
When do I do the full tests again? Start tonight in order to make sure I am in the rigth levels?
Retest everything when the FC drops below 10. Then adjust things as needed and maintain proper FC for the CYA. It's just that easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as you have no visible signs of dead algae on the bottom, water is clear, passed OCLT and CC 0.5 or less, you're good to go! Well done!

Now just let the FC drop on its own to the proper levels for your CYA. Once your FC is below 10, check your pH and adjust if needed. From here on out, just maintain your FC and pH daily, can be done with the K-1000 color block. Looks like your TA was already on the low end but I wouldn't worry about raising it unless you are having trouble with consistently low pH. You could do a full test again, but only really necessary if you replaced A LOT of water due to backwashing during SLAM. Maybe once a week I check out my TA if I've adjusted pH. Once per week I do the FAS-DPD test to verify accurate FC and check for CC, you might want to do that for a few days after the SLAM to make sure CC isn't coming up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.