Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot increase My FC!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot increase My FC!

I recently joined after reading many, many posts about proper pool care. I own an 8 year old 31,000 gallon gunite SWG pool. I purchased a Taylor K-2006 to check the water and have tested frequently. I'm trying to figure out if my SWG needs to be replaced or not. These are my results from testing today:
    FC 0.4ppm
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 80ppm
    CH 300ppm
    CYA 85ppm
    Salt 3400
    The water is perfectly clear, blue and no signs of algae. My FC reading was the same yesterday and after 2 - 121oz bottles of 8% liquid bleach were added my FC is still the same today. I don't know if it's my SWG going bad or not. Any advice or help?!?!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cannot increase My FC!

Since this is your first post, Welcome to TFP!

The first step would be to see if you have anything consuming your FC. Clear water can be misleading, an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test will help determine if you are experiencing an abnormal chlorine demand that would need to be fixed before you can properly diagnose your SWG. Raise your FC up, preferably to SLAM level, and follow these instructions: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

If you pass, then the next step is to take a look at your SWG. If you fail you will want to SLAM the pool first.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, last week my pool was crystal clear. Saturday my FC was 1.5 and I spotted some algae, water was still crystal clear. Brushed a bunch, raised FC with bleach and water is still crystal clear today.

Higher chlorine consumption is the first sign of algae, then you see a little, then the filter clogs a little faster, then the water bets cloudy in the deep end, then it gets cloudy everywhere and then it turns green.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the welcome!! I will go ahead then and add enough bleach to raise the FC up to 31 from 0.4. Should I do this 30 minutes prior to starting the OCLT?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes. You add, wait 30-45 minutes so it mixes in well, then test. It is important that the sun is down and the SWG is turned off. Measure again before the sun comes up.

Personally, I recommend a FC level of 10 though. I have found that it is way easier to have a discrepancy with your test results at very high FC levels. The drops not being the exact same size etc. You can test back to back and sometimes get readings that are 2-3 off of each other.

Regardless, I have a feeling your results are going to be quite a difference based on what you said so far.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the replies!! I will aim for an FC of 10 then. We are expecting heavy rainfall tonight so tomorrow I'll start the OCLT and see what result I get!

7. Back To Top    #7

I did the OCLT last night and only had a loss of 0.6ppm so I guess it's now time to look at the SWG 😥 Thank you for your help!

8. Back To Top    #8

What brand of SWG do you have and are there any error codes?

Please make a signature with your pool specs as that will make diagnostics easier.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is what we are looking for in a sig, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I read that a way of testing swg is to compare the fc in the water coming out of the jets to the water farther away from the jets. If you crank up the swg it should be higher out of the jets
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

We have an AquaRite SWG and there are no codes in the box
    31,185 gal 20X40 (3'-8' deep) IG Blue Haven gunite pool
    Install Date: July 2006 / Pump: Hayward Northstar
    SWG: Hayward Aqua Rite / Filter: Hayward SmartFilter Cartridge Series 450 sq' Model C4520 BH
    Heater: Hayward H400IDL2 / Cleaner: Jandy Ray Vac / Taylor T-6000 test kit