Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove ladder?

1. Back To Top    #1

Remove ladder?

We have a ladder in the deep end (deep end is 5.5ft) that we never use. Sometimes when brushing I notice that some algae grows in the crevasses under each step. Since we never use it, I'm thinking of just removing it.

My question is, what's the best way to cover the holes/sleeves left in the concrete deck? I don't want something permanent, but something that can be removed later if needed, looks decent, and won't be a trip hazard.

Suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics

Attachment 38395

Attachment 38396
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remove ladder?

Make sure to check your local codes. Some areas say you HAVE to have steps, ladder, etc to get out of the deep end.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We use wedding cake steps. PITA putting them in and taking them out each year, especially out. The first couple weeks this year, we went without steps. 4 foot pool. Kids can get out, but the steps aren't there for just the good times. Steps and ladders are a safety feature when things go bad. Cramping, bee sting, injured while playing, swimmers need a safe base to get to. Ladders or steps provide that.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses (for some reason I never got notification of the responses, hence why I'm just now seeing them).

You both make excellent points. Now that it was mentioned, I think I remember our builder mentioning a ladder is required in the deep end, so I'll just leave the ladder in place.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm still interested in the original question asked. Is there anything that can be used to plug or hid the holes in the concrete?

We have holes for hand-rails in the shallow end at the steps but have never installed the hand-rails and now have 4 open holes in the concrete I'd like to plug or at least hide.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay so lets think about this-----------go to the plumbing department. Look at the push on caps they use for sinks when you do not want to have the extra sprayer.

2 in. Sink Hole Cover in Satin Nickel-D202-07 - The Home Depot

I have one that has things all around so that it stays in without having to get to the bottom. I cannot find a pic of it.

That is what I have come up with so far.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait! I just thought of something else.

Mix up some concrete, fill the holes and put something cute on top like a turtle or starfish so it will look like a pretty instead of a cover up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit