Help with chemicals

Jul 29, 2014
MOUNT MORRIS
I need to know what to add first and 2nd and so on.

I have a green swamp.
CL = 0
PH = 7.8
TA = 170
H = 150
CYA = <20

I think I have everything I need. I have 30 gallons of bleach15 lbs of baking soda, stabilizer, borax, deicer, Muriatic acid and I've got my pump running 24/7. I am not sure how to get back to my thread so hopefully I can find the answers posted.1434308290577454038319.jpg

You have almost everything you need.

To succeed you need to be able to accurately measure FC at levels higher than your test kits are capable of. Also an accurate CYA reading is needed, and most kits and the pool store will give you sketchy results.

Buy one of these. Recommended Test Kits

I recommend the TF-100 as it has plenty of reagents and is the best bang for your buck. You will be using the FAS-DPD test more than anything. The added XL option doubles the FAS-DPD reagents and also brings the order past the free shipping cutoff.

Here is the link. TF-100

Now after you get this, you need to figure out your CYA level. Ideally it should be raised up to 30. Do this by placing the powder in a sock and hanging it in front of a return.

Next you need to SLAM your pool. Here are the instructions. SLAM Directions

The maintain portion of the SLAM is the most important. You must meet all 3 criteria before you stop.

Lastly, properly maintain your pool when you are done SLAMing. Read through Pool School over and over until you throughly understand what you are doing.

Pool School.

Good Luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and get back to your thread by going to your profile and looking at your activity or Find Lastest Started Threads on the left hand side inside your profile.

It is also located here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/97624-Help-with-chemicals

OK, I now have the TF-100 test kit and my initial numbers CYA 40, FC 0.5 PH 8.2 TA 230 CC 0.5 on 7/5/15 (this was after adding at least 28 jugs of 121 oz 8.25 chlorine bleach and 6 containers of stabilizer. The initial CYA was 0)

I added 726 oz of 8.25 chlorine bleach and 56 oz. of Muriatic Acid on 7/5/15
I added 605 oz. of 8.25 chlorine bleach on 7/6; new reading is PH. 7.9 FC is 0.5; added another 605 oz. bleach.
today the PH is 7.9 and the CYA is 30, CC is 2, FC 7, TC 9, TA 220
Added 410 oz bleach, 32 oz Muriatic Acid and 41 oz. stabilizer.

I am a little confused. When I read the slamming instructions, it says to make sure the CYA is between 30 and 50 for outdoor pools and not to backwash or clean the filter for a week after stabilizing. But it also says to clean the pool of debris, how can I do that without back washing? Just scoop out what I can? Our pool has a 3 ft. shallow end and 9.5 ft. deep end. It is hard to get the leaves and debris from the deep end without vacuming because we can't see the bottom of the pool.

Also, our filter (stand pipe cracked) and pushed some sand into the pool and caused the pump motor to seize. We got another sand filter and pump (used on craigslist); it was working until more sand got in the pump motor and we have to keep taking it apart and cleaning it to get the sand out. When I say "we" I mean my husband.

So am I supposed to vacuum and backwash 1st, then adjust the PH, then the CYA, then the chlorine? HELP!!!

This is our first year using TFP method; normally my husband goes to the pool store with a sample and we spend oooddles of money buying this that and the other until it eventually works. He wants to go to the pool store; I want to use TFP; Happy Wife Happy Life....LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since we have the sand filter and such a mess on our hands should we add DE to the filter?

Since you have some CYA (at least 30 ppm, possibly 40 ppm) in the water already, you can clean debris out of the pool first and that involves vacuum-to-waste (which bypasses the filter so no need to backwash) or brushing moving debris (if fine) to drains and skimmer to be filtered and then backwashing. I think you can stick with your lower CYA during the SLAM since it will take a lower level of chlorine.

So with your CYA level, I'd skip increasing it and just clear out the debris and then SLAM (raise the chlorine level to shock level and maintain it there).

If you find that the pool is not clearing quickly enough, particularly if there are very fine particles causing cloudiness, then you can add DE to your sand filter, but I'd start filtering without the DE first to see how it goes and also to get rid of the "easy" stuff first otherwise adding DE now would likely have the pressure go up too high too quickly (i.e. wait to use the DE when and if you need it). Don't forget to lower your pH before you do the SLAM -- get it down to no higher than 7.4 and you could go as low as 7.2 if you wanted to.

Okay Sandy, just stick with the SLAM and "maintain". That's all you can do right now along with the regular scrubbing and filter cleaning. Yeah, the CYA could be lower, but it is what it is. :) Just keep that FC at the required SLAM level and it will work. Be patient.

Oh, and during the SLAM (with high FC), no need to keep checking PH. It doesn't read accurately during a SLAM. Save your reagents. :)

How long will the slam process take? We were seeing improvements daily but now it is just cloudy and does not appear to be getting any better since Friday. We have lowered our CYA by vacuuming to waste and adding fresh water. Our CYA is now 50 and we have been checking the FC three to four times a day and keeping it at shock level according to the CYA/Chlorine chart. My husband keeps saying we should add clarifier but I am sticking with the BBB method. We have been brushing it. We have stairs (the ladder is not in yet), we don't know where more algea can be hiding! We can't see the bottom but when we vacuum to waste it is not green like it was in the beginning. HELP.....how much longer before we can see a sparkling clear pool.

If the water is changing you are making progress. :goodjob: Do not be discouraged. It didn't turn green overnight, and it will take a little while to clear, but it will. Do not add anything other than the liquid chlorine based on the chart. Keep doing what you're doing - sweeping, brushing, vacuuming, etc. If you have lights, pull them out and look behind them if possible. Algae is a sneaky little thing. The first couple days your FC is consumed quickly by algae, but eventually the FC will overcome the organics. Maintain!

- - - Updated - - -

At some point, the green should be replaced with cloudy white dead algae. It will take some time for your filter and vacuuming to get rid of it, but you will.

Ok, so we have had the cloudy white pool for a week now and it seems to be stuck. We are still keep g it at shock level. We have to add about 1-2 gallons every morning and night yo get it back up to shock level. We've added at least 60 gallons of bleach (8.25) to the pool since we started this process. Do you have any idea how much longer this will take? We are on Michigan and our swimming tI'm is limited.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so we have had the cloudy white pool for a week now and it seems to be stuck. We are still keep g it at shock level. We have to add about 1-2 gallons every morning and night yo get it back up to shock level. We've added at least 60 gallons of bleach (8.25) to the pool since we started this process. Do you have any idea how much longer this will take? We are on Michigan and our swimming tI'm is limited.

For a pool that black, you could be looking at 2 more weeks because it will take a while to filter out all of the dead algae. Just keep your pool at shock level. DO NOT GIVE UP. I don't use stabilizer very often, but it seems like you put lots of it in your pool. It takes a while for it to show up on the test. So the shock level you are using might not be the proper one for the stabilizer you added. However, keep at it...TFP METHODS WILL WORK....you can see my thoughts and experience with TFP here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/101314-FYI-Green-pools-are-expensive

This seems to fit your situation perfectly...

I want to add that if you feel comfortable draining and refilling...more power too you. There are guidelines on here for that also. No shame in it, we have done it before. I remember once pumping the pool down and scrubbing the liner with a soft brush in the early days of our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.