Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool

Hi,
    I'm new to this site, but have recently been reading a lot on what people have been saying about their pools and found this site terrific. I have been trying to follow what Pool School recommends but I am stumped now on what's happening with my pool.

my pool was crystal clear 1 week ago until I started vacuuming it out. There is soooo much pollen in my pool it's ridiculous. As I was vacuuming I noticed that it started to get cloudy and it still is.

these are my pool results.
    FC 4.79 ppm
    TC. 4.79 ppm
    CC. 0 ppm
    pH 7.6
    Hardness 152 ppm
    Alkalinity 74 ppm
    CYA 55 ppm
    Copper 0 ppm
    Iron 0.1 ppm

so....could my pool be cloudy because of the pollen or based on the Chlorine /Cya chart should I be adding chlorine to match my CYA number....? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cloudy pool

Nothing in your numbers to indicate a problem,

Cloudy pools clear up with filtration, vacuuming and brushing.

Are you running the pump 24/7?

Brushing often?

Vacuuming often?

Backwashing as needed?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

pool store test numbers?
    if so take them with a grain of salt
    you will need an accurate test kit
    TF100 seems the most popular and the taylor 2006
    TFTestkits.net
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

If you want to check for organic matter consuming chlorine you can Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thx for your reply. My pool is 18 x 52 and I run my sand filter only 6 hours a day. I just back washed yesterday and it looked like it needed it....the water seems to be moving more freely now. Perhaps that was the problem? I added a. It more chlorine in it jic.....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, those numbers are from the store. I should really buy this kit you are speaking about. It would be more accurate I'm sure. Thx for everyone's input.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, others in your part of the country get the Taylor K2006 because it is the only one available - but at a substantial cost from what I hear. Many of us use the TF-100, but they do not ship it to Canada. Best option would be to take a vacation down south. Either way, do all you can to get your own test kit. The store tests are unpredictable and typically incorrect. Good luck on clearing the water, and keep in touch if you need anything.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thx Texas Splash. I do miss my winter vacations down south, that's for sure. That will be the first item I buy this February when I head south again.