Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown Spots

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown Spots

Everything was going great with the pool as far as balancing the chemicals. The water was looking great. Went on vacation this past week on Tuesday and just returned last night. Before I left, I made sure everything was in line. I then put in a couple of 3" pucks in my IC to provide some chlorine while I was gone. I also new it would raise my CYA about 4ppm but that was fine as I had kept it on the low side knowing I would be taking a couple of vacations this summer.

Numbers before I left for vacation:

FC - 5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 80
    CH - 200
    CYA - 35

Number from after vacation using pucks:

FC - .5
    CC - 0
    pH - 8.2+
    TA - 80
    CH - 200
    CYA - 35

I get up this morning to brush the pool and clean out the skimmer baskets. I see a couple of small brown spots on the swim out. I think maybe they are dirt but they don't come off after brushing. Any ideas on what they may be and how to get rid of them?

Also, any idea why the pucks didn't keep up the FC?

IMG_1762.jpgIMG_1763.jpg
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brown Spots

Looks like rust stains. Try putting a vitamin C tablet on them and they should lighten/disappear.

Did the tablets complete dissolve? If they were only going to add 4pm CYA, that would only be 6ppm of FC .... and remember a pool looses 2-4ppm of FC to the sun everyday. Sounds like you did not add enough tablets to be gone for 5 days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What causes the rust stains?

Also, I just opened the IC and the two pucks are still in there. They didn't dissolve. Here are some pictures of my setup. Does anything look wrong? Not sure why they didn't dissolve.

IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

4. Back To Top    #4

Metal in the pool. I had a few last year, a couple were from a hair band left in the pool that moved around. Another appeared to come back this year, so wondering if there is a tiny piece of metal that got embedded in the pebbleshean.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The tiniest fleck of metal can do that. When we replaced the common fence with a block wall, somebody broke off a nail head and it landed in the pool. Left a rust spot 1/2" across in only 2 days. Vitamin C lifted it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!