Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine tabs causing hives or rash? SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine tabs causing hives or rash? SWG?

Soooo. I've had the pool up for almost my a month and the boss (wife) has broken out in a rash. We've had a pool for years, but we are starting to narrow down th causes. We Originally thought the hives were from stress. Now the kids have it after spending the day in the pool. Everything tests fine. That got me to thinking about the chlorine. Well, some sites say that it could exxagerate the actual allergy of whatever, but not actually be the allergy. My question is if the saltwater system would result in a similar result or if anyone else has had this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine tabs causing hives or rash? SWG?

We need a full set of GOOD test results, but I highly suspect PH out of line if not high CC.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Everything tests fine.
    Ultimately, that will be the issue. Post your results but everything does NOT test fine because you are getting a rash from your pool water....probably. Like woodyp says, it is likely High CC's but we won't have any idea until you can post test results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

High Chlorine? Just got home, so I'll go out and test in a few

5. Back To Top    #5

Not FC-----------High CC-----------combined chloramines----the BAD stuff!
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

No, high combined chlorine.

Salt makes water better for skin, not worse. Need the following test results from a recommended test kit, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

There is nothing more important than current valid test results. Here's what we need.

FC - Free Chlorine
    CC - Combined Chlorine
    pH
    TA - Total Alkalinity
    CH - Calcium Hardness
    CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
    Borates - (if you are using borates)

more info here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow. I feel like such a newbie. Soooooooooo. In full disclosure, I don't have the tests that are mentioned via the link. I have always used a lot I bought from Home Depot

I guess I need to prefer something more sufficient. It's really hard to tell if my CC too high using this kit.. Ugh! I ups shocking the pool help? I read in this manual that if my cc and my fc were different by .02 or more the. A super chlorination is needed. Really funny considering this what the test gives me to judge by:

8. Back To Top    #8

You can't get a DECENT CC reading from that kit, nor can you properly perform a SLAM without one of our recommended test kits. You'll just be throwing stuff in blindly. WE DON'T DO THAT!

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol. Easy. Easaaaasy there. It's 90-freakin-2 outside so I figured it was worth a shot. I guess the boss will have to wait till I can get my college level chemistry kit ordered. Maybe I can talk her into running the beer out to the pool when I'm empty. Jk.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Please put your pool info in your signature so we know what you have. Since you said it has "been up for almost a month", I assume it's an above ground. If it's not too big and you want to use it right now, drain and refill it. 75% or so should dilute whatever problem you have that's causing the rash.

The kit you have won't give an accurate CC reading, but it will measure CYA and Ph. See what those are, then using Poolmath, add enough liquid bleach to get your FC into the desired range for your CYA. That will make your pool usable for a few days until you can good one of the recommended test kits.

Don't add anything but bleach, CYA (aka stabilizer), and muratic acid if needed to bring your Ph into the 7.2 - 7.8 range.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Jeffchap! I'll update my sig tonight. Running around trying to figure this **** out. For the record, it's a 20' x 52" intex ABP with the intext sand filter, and Hayward skimmer basket installed.

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh. And the ph tested a little high. Judging by the newly antiquated test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Whoa, that'll be a pretty sizable drain and refill. How badly does the boss want to swim?
    Pentair IC40 SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

Lol. Oh. It's not getting drained. It took me a couple days to fill. As luck would have it a storm has rolled in, so she doesn't want to swim all that bad. Maybe in the evening. We'll see. I went ahead and shocked the pool, if for no other reason than I haven't done so in over a week and it was super hot and sunny the past 3-4 days

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Go ahead and measure your CYA with the test kit you have. If it's too high, you're going to have to perform a partial drain and refill anyway. You might as well do it today while the weather is lousy for swimming. There's no other effective method for lowering CYA.

You want something in the 30-40 ppm range if you're going to use liquid bleach to chlorinate your pool from now on. You can go higher, say 70 ppm if you plan to install a SWG.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

What did the PH read at?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Ph was between 7.8 and 8 I think. It wasn't at the 8.2 mark that I have as the highest measurement