AGP High alkalinity, ph and hardness, help please

Jun 10, 2015
wpb
First, this forum is simply amazing. Having frequented many through the years, this is the first I have ever seen so consistently helpful to others. It is a breath of fresh air.

Now to our problem. We have an above ground pool we are having trouble getting balanced. This is our 5th agp. It was filled a couple of weeks ago with well water, which is the same as the last 2 we have had. We have managed to remove most of the 'rust' from the pool. Yay! But according to our clorox 6 test strip and aqua chem test kit, our chlorine-total and free, is ideal, and ph high. The clorox also shows high water hardness, at least 1000 or more, which was not unexpected, ph at 8.4 or higher, and total alkalinity at 240 or higher. Stabilizer shows as ok. What do we need to add, please? i am confused regarding what I read, as it seems treating alkalinity can raise the ph, etc. I know my understanding is just screwed up, what can I say? Ha! Any help would be much appreciated as to what products/ chemicals to use. We used super shock and super water clarifier to help remove the rust.

And thank you in advance.

AGP Intex ultra-frame 18' × 48", krystal clear 1500 gpm with cartridge filter

don't know if it is because I added my signature after making the thread that itis not showing to me in the above post, so here is the pool we have.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, woodyp. So muriatic acid will lower both? I guess my confusion comes in when it states ph rising. I know, I am known for overthinking sometimes. Is that what I am doing here? Also, if I understand correctly, lowering the alkalinity will also lower hardness, correct?

MA will lower both over........TIME......as a process. Constantly letting PH rise on it's own or by aeration, then knocking it back down helps to lower TA. No effect on CH. You need to keep your PH is low 7 range to combat calcium scaling though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.