Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP High alkalinity, ph and hardness, help please

1. Back To Top    #1

Question AGP High alkalinity, ph and hardness, help please

First, this forum is simply amazing. Having frequented many through the years, this is the first I have ever seen so consistently helpful to others. It is a breath of fresh air.

Now to our problem. We have an above ground pool we are having trouble getting balanced. This is our 5th agp. It was filled a couple of weeks ago with well water, which is the same as the last 2 we have had. We have managed to remove most of the 'rust' from the pool. Yay! But according to our clorox 6 test strip and aqua chem test kit, our chlorine-total and free, is ideal, and ph high. The clorox also shows high water hardness, at least 1000 or more, which was not unexpected, ph at 8.4 or higher, and total alkalinity at 240 or higher. Stabilizer shows as ok. What do we need to add, please? i am confused regarding what I read, as it seems treating alkalinity can raise the ph, etc. I know my understanding is just screwed up, what can I say? Ha! Any help would be much appreciated as to what products/ chemicals to use. We used super shock and super water clarifier to help remove the rust.

And thank you in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP High alkalinity, ph and hardness, help please

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

There ya' go! Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

AGP Intex ultra-frame 18' 48", krystal clear 1500 gpm with cartridge filter

don't know if it is because I added my signature after making the thread that itis not showing to me in the above post, so here is the pool we have.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, woodyp. So muriatic acid will lower both? I guess my confusion comes in when it states ph rising. I know, I am known for overthinking sometimes. Is that what I am doing here? Also, if I understand correctly, lowering the alkalinity will also lower hardness, correct?

4. Back To Top    #4

MA will lower both over........TIME......as a process. Constantly letting PH rise on it's own or by aeration, then knocking it back down helps to lower TA. No effect on CH. You need to keep your PH is low 7 range to combat calcium scaling though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you. The pool calculator says to add 107 oz. so I just got it and will add it now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quick update. Everything looks good now except stabilizer is now too low. Will check again the morning and see what it reads. Thanks again for the help.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Please update your location and pool info as shown here,
    Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach