Variable Speed Settings - Starting Point

Apr 25, 2015
Pasadena, CA
So I had my local chain pool store install a Hayward EcoStar VS 2hp pump yesterday and the guy told me to run it at 100% for 3 hrs a day, and then at 50% for 8 hrs a day. Said the 100% is for the Kreepy and the 50% would be the lowest setting to keep my spa spillover going.

I've only had the pool for 6 mos, but we used to keep our old single speed 2hp pump running for 4-6 hours a day without any problems. Want to make sure that the info I was given is a good starting point. Seems sort of odd that I would still need to run it for 3hrs at 100% (2hp). Do those settings sound accurate?

The 50% makes sense if that's really the minimum for the spillover to work and you want it going. The total run time though seems to be much more than would be needed. I'd play with it myself and see what the minimum is for sure for just the spillover to work. Then play with the higher speed to find what still works well for the skimmers to function well and adjust that time for what you need. The big dogs here can help with that, but I'll soon be doing the same and going to start out right around 2 1/2 so 3 hours for that sounds realistic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.