Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed Settings - Starting Point

1. Back To Top    #1

Pasadena, CA

Variable Speed Settings - Starting Point

So I had my local chain pool store install a Hayward EcoStar VS 2hp pump yesterday and the guy told me to run it at 100% for 3 hrs a day, and then at 50% for 8 hrs a day. Said the 100% is for the Kreepy and the 50% would be the lowest setting to keep my spa spillover going.

I've only had the pool for 6 mos, but we used to keep our old single speed 2hp pump running for 4-6 hours a day without any problems. Want to make sure that the info I was given is a good starting point. Seems sort of odd that I would still need to run it for 3hrs at 100% (2hp). Do those settings sound accurate?
    22,000 gallon IG plaster pool, raised spa w/spillover, variable speed EcoStar pump, natural gas heater, 48SF DE filter, SWG (all Hayward), AquaLogic automated controller, Kreepy Krawly, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Cantonment, FL (Pensacola Area)

Re: Variable Speed Settings - Starting Point

The 50% makes sense if that's really the minimum for the spillover to work and you want it going. The total run time though seems to be much more than would be needed. I'd play with it myself and see what the minimum is for sure for just the spillover to work. Then play with the higher speed to find what still works well for the skimmers to function well and adjust that time for what you need. The big dogs here can help with that, but I'll soon be doing the same and going to start out right around 2 1/2 so 3 hours for that sounds realistic.
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Upstate, NY

I agree with the above statement. It really is going to be trial and error. I would play with the RPM's and see for yourself what works and what doesn't work as already mentioned.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

You just have to go play with it and see how the kreepy and spillover works out a different speeds and what it is that YOU like.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!