Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liguid plumber?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liguid plumber?

I think I could have debris stuck in one of my skimmer pipes. Is it ok to pour liquid plumber into the skimmer to see if it will dissolve what may be
    clogging the pipe.

I have one skimmer. When I shut off the main drain the pump will sucks all the water out of the skimmer line then it fills back up and it sucks it all out again. Over and over. Thats the best way I can describe it.
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Intellichlor Salt Generator
    Water Fall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liguid plumber?

Ooooh, using LP doesn't sound like an ideal thing to use in my opinion. Might open-up a slew of chemical changes. Many others have had pugged pipes and resolved them manually with a plumbers snake or perhaps air pressure. Sometimes water pushing backwards. I would wait for another reply or two from the TFP veterans to confirm though. I don't want to steer your wrong, just be cautious.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Noooooooooooo!!

LP is way too caustic for your pools equipment. You can easily damage your equipment with it. If the line is truly clogged you need to blow it out using a hose bladder or, very carefully with compressed air.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely NG!!!!
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

5. Back To Top    #5

Ouch! I'd suspect even diluted that stuff may burn!!! Well, at least they don't use lye in that stuff anymore
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I'll go another route
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Intellichlor Salt Generator
    Water Fall

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Miscanthus View Post

I have one skimmer. When I shut off the main drain the pump will sucks all the water out of the skimmer line then it fills back up and it sucks it all out again. Over and over. Thats the best way I can describe it.
    I think your pipe is fine. What you are describing sounds more like a sticking weir, low water level or a pump that just moves more water than the skimmer alone can supply.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Surging like you describe is most usually a stuck weir flapper or low water. The pump catches prime, it sucks the skimmer dry, loses prime, skimmer refills. Repeat.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreSun View Post
    Ouch! I'd suspect even diluted that stuff may burn!!! Well, at least they don't use lye in that stuff anymore
    Actually lye is sodium hydroxide in solid form. Many formulations of LP, Draino, etc, use different concentrations of sodium hydroxide in solution.

Sodium hydroxide is extremely caustic even at low concentrations. Glue joints and certain kinds of plastics can be easily damaged by a slug of high pH water sitting in one area for too long.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates