Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile Came Lose, how to repair?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile Came Lose, how to repair?

Guys, one of the tiles that was in place right below my hot tub overspill has fallen off either during the winter or since my opening yesterday. I fished it out and noticed a little of the plaster that was below of it came off it. I think the water spilling from the tub edged a little space behind it as it falls and after a number of years it came lose. I see the little space behind the next tile also so that one will eventually fall off as well. My question is how can I glue this thing back. Can I do this with water level covering the entire tile? After couple more backwashes there will probable be about an inch of clearance on these tiles but I do not keep water any lower then that. Can I glue it with water level this high on the tiles? Secondly what about the plaster? do I need to replace that as well? is this something I can do or should get the professionals to take care of it?
    [URL=""]
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Tile Came Lose, how to repair?

i would find a way to lower the water level, let it dry thoroughly, clean it up really well by getting the old grout out and then use sanded grout to reset the tiles back in place. You will not be able to hide it and it may not last forever but you can do that yourself.

If you don't want to mess with it get a tile guy for a more permanent fix.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    i would find a way to lower the water level, let it dry thoroughly, clean it up really well by getting the old grout out and then use sanded grout to reset the tiles back in place. You will not be able to hide it and it may not last forever but you can do that yourself.

If you don't want to mess with it get a tile guy for a more permanent fix.
    I will definitely not be lowering the water as I have no good way to refill it, can this wait till closing time? Also the grouting part I can manage but what about the chip in the gunite? Can I fill that in somehow, do they even sell this material for small patch jobs?
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you are not losing any water, then wait till you are ready to close it for the season or just before you open next season.

I see plenty of pools with missing tiles and they operate just fine.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Closing time it is then, when I open my pool is full of water ( I am opening it now) so that would not work. I let snow and rain fill it back up during winter/spring. Does anyone know if you can purchase plaster/gunite kits to fill small gaps like this?