Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just joined the forum

1. Back To Top    #1

Just joined the forum

It occurred to me this morning that with all of the other forums I belong to that there might be one for pools, not sure why i never thought of it before. I looked around a bit and found this one, it looks like a lot of useful information and an active membership so here goes.

We built our own pool in 1992, it is an 18x36 built from block walls. To look at it it looks just like any other pool with a liner.It was a lot of work and i would never attempt it again We got a lot of use out of it for many years but as our kids got older it became more of a burden than anything. Last year it was time to spend money on a new liner and safety cover or fill it in. We have 3 grandsons now who live nearby so we decided on the first option. We spent more on this project than we did building the pool.

My problem is that I have never really advanced beyond the most basic level of knowledge about pool chemistry and care. When we have a problem my wife or myself drive 25 miles to the pool store and buy whatever potion they tell us we need. I know there has to be a more convenient and economical way. I have a fairly good knowledge of the mechanical aspect of pools and hope i can be of some help to others in that respect.

That is why I am here.

ADD...After looking around a bit i notice that there is a spot to introduce yourself. Moderators feel free to mover this post there.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just joined the forum

Welcome! Very happy to have you wit us. Here is the most important thing right now:
    1. The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. See the TF-100 link in my sig below
    2. Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.
    3. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Again, welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome, we are glad you are here. We love pictures in case you are feeling shy about posting a few Pool School contains a lot of information that, coupled with a recommended test kit, and help from members, will get you a sparkling pool.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome M.Photog. You just found the holy grail for pool owners. You have already gotten good advice from Texas Splash and f3justusc. The only thing I can add is to get a Speedstir when you order a test kit. It makes testing a breeze. Good luck!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    Welcome M.Photog. You just found the holy grail for pool owners. You have already gotten good advice from Texas Splash and f3justusc. The only thing I can add is to get a Speedstir when you order a test kit. It makes testing a breeze. Good luck!
    Dittos on the speedstir, the slickest thing since vinyl records.

Hello and Welcome, the holy grail is right and what Texas Splash is like a mantra to us. This site is made up of people like you and me. Doing it myself for years, but not understanding the chemistry, relying on part time pool store employees (most are probably terribly misinformed, the rest flat out to get your money).

Fast forward to now, I now understand what and how much to add, and the consequence of doing it. And it's easy to learn, math calculator does the heavy lifting for you.
    And while the best thing to do is read, read, read, they still would answer my dumb questions.

Is this heaven ????? ...........well yeah, With a crystal clear pool !! Welcome aboard
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome Photog! Yes you came to the right place, the most valuable forum in existence, both for the valuable knowledge available, and the $$$ savings you will make
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the words of welcome. I read my post again and realized i was wrong about size. Our pool is 18x36 with an 8ft deep end. It holds about 22,000 gallons of water. We have a 200 pound Hayward filter. As suggested I will work all of that into my signature line this evening. Thanks for the advice so far, i look forward to learning here and possibly helping others. I have quite a bit of experience with filters, pumps and timers etc.

8. Back To Top    #8

The test kit and speedstir are ordered. Thanks for the suggestion.
    18x36 inground pool with 8ft deep end, 22,000 gallons. Hayward 200 Pound sand filter 1HP pump with programmable timer. 1 main drain, 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Manual retractable safety cover.