Pool Filter Sand

SDH

Aug 10, 2013
Rosedale, LA
Picked up pool sand filter at Leslie's (I know, I know) because it was the closest and easiest. The clerk assured me (I know, I know) that it was #20 sand even though it doesn't say so anywhere on the bag. I figured I'd verify it on the net when I got home but have been unable to do so.

Anyone know what size sand this is?? I don't want to load my newly repaired filter with 500 lbs of junk. image.jpg

Here's the screening analysis for the product. http://www.texasqualityproducts.com/images/descoffiltermedia.pdf

As the numbers get larger with sieve or grit size, the screen gets smaller. So larger numbers = finer sand. You can see that most of the sand passes through the 20 grit size and is retained in either the 30 grit or 40 grit screen. Not very much that's smaller than 40 grit. This means that most of the sand is between 20 and 30 grit size with minor amounts smaller and larger than those. Looks like it should be suitable for the pool filter.

This analysis is for the "Medium Filter Media" product. If it is the "Coarse Filter Media" product, it seems like the grit size would be too large, meaning it would not filter fine enough for a pool filter. None of the bags have the boxes checked or marked specifying which type it is?

This analysis is for the "Medium Filter Media" product. If it is the "Coarse Filter Media" product, it seems like the grit size would be too large, meaning it would not filter fine enough for a pool filter. None of the bags have the boxes checked or marked specifying which type it is?

Thanks for the info!!

Not a single bag was marked. The guy went in the back of the store where he got them and couldn't find anything on it, but felt sure it was No. 20 (which is what my Hayward S310S calls for). I think I'm probably safe based on the information you provided and the side by side comparison below.

The green stuff on the left is what came out. The new in on the right. I inherited care of this pool, so I don't know when or what kind of sand was in the filter before. It's probably green from all the algae. Pool is crystal clear now, and I intend to keep it that way. The new stuff may be very slightly more coarse than the old, but that may be good because the laterals were pretty jammed with the old media.

UjYvqDtA7DseGEEZ4kNRlolXnbP4TYRKpyw1TnIkkxo

The color of the old sand looks like it is probably a sand alternative filter media rather than normal filter sand. Mixed reviews on most sand alternative products with some causing problems like passing through laterals or as you saw, clogging laterals.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Take out one of the laterals and pour some of the sand over top, if the laterals block the sand from entering the cylinder it is the correct grit. No real way of telling if the sand is good quality or lasts as long as other types. Just need to try it or find reviews to really know for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.