Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Filter Sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Filter Sand

Picked up pool sand filter at Leslie's (I know, I know) because it was the closest and easiest. The clerk assured me (I know, I know) that it was #20 sand even though it doesn't say so anywhere on the bag. I figured I'd verify it on the net when I got home but have been unable to do so.

Anyone know what size sand this is?? I don't want to load my newly repaired filter with 500 lbs of junk. image.jpg
    34k gal, IG plaster, Hayward S-310S 240 sq. ft. sand filter, ? HP Premier brass pump (so old the tags have worn off), built July 1965 , Intec Water Doctor I copper-ionization system (no longer used)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Filter Sand

Here's the screening analysis for the product. http://www.texasqualityproducts.com/...iltermedia.pdf

As the numbers get larger with sieve or grit size, the screen gets smaller. So larger numbers = finer sand. You can see that most of the sand passes through the 20 grit size and is retained in either the 30 grit or 40 grit screen. Not very much that's smaller than 40 grit. This means that most of the sand is between 20 and 30 grit size with minor amounts smaller and larger than those. Looks like it should be suitable for the pool filter.

This analysis is for the "Medium Filter Media" product. If it is the "Coarse Filter Media" product, it seems like the grit size would be too large, meaning it would not filter fine enough for a pool filter. None of the bags have the boxes checked or marked specifying which type it is?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post

This analysis is for the "Medium Filter Media" product. If it is the "Coarse Filter Media" product, it seems like the grit size would be too large, meaning it would not filter fine enough for a pool filter. None of the bags have the boxes checked or marked specifying which type it is?
    Thanks for the info!!

Not a single bag was marked. The guy went in the back of the store where he got them and couldn't find anything on it, but felt sure it was No. 20 (which is what my Hayward S310S calls for). I think I'm probably safe based on the information you provided and the side by side comparison below.

The green stuff on the left is what came out. The new in on the right. I inherited care of this pool, so I don't know when or what kind of sand was in the filter before. It's probably green from all the algae. Pool is crystal clear now, and I intend to keep it that way. The new stuff may be very slightly more coarse than the old, but that may be good because the laterals were pretty jammed with the old media.

34k gal, IG plaster, Hayward S-310S 240 sq. ft. sand filter, ? HP Premier brass pump (so old the tags have worn off), built July 1965 , Intec Water Doctor I copper-ionization system (no longer used)

4. Back To Top    #4

The color of the old sand looks like it is probably a sand alternative filter media rather than normal filter sand. Mixed reviews on most sand alternative products with some causing problems like passing through laterals or as you saw, clogging laterals.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Take out one of the laterals and pour some of the sand over top, if the laterals block the sand from entering the cylinder it is the correct grit. No real way of telling if the sand is good quality or lasts as long as other types. Just need to try it or find reviews to really know for sure.
    1999, 18x36 29k Gal, IG Vinyl, Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Pentair SD80 Sand Filter, Pentair Millivolt 250m NG Heater
    2007, Hydropool H625 Platinum, 3HP/4HP pumps, Balboa Spa pack, Poly Planar Stereo c/w pop up speakers