New chlorine convert

Jun 14, 2015
Pell City, AL
I just completed converting my pool from Baquacil to chlorine. I have worked on it for one week and this mornning I finally have a sparkling pool. It looks great EXCEPT for a few spots of a powdery substance on the floor that when you brush it appears to be yellowish. Anyone know what this is? I have an inground kidney shaped 16 X 30 pool 3 ft. to 6 ft. deep.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

The important thing is to vacuum it out of the pool. Keep brushing and the filter will catch it or manually vacuum it.

Are you holding FC now? Do you have CYA in the pool.

Every piece of advice we give is based on test results....got some for us?

I know nothing about chlorine. I hate to sound so misinformed, but I am trying to learn. I have used Baquacil for 8 years and developed that white mold and pink slime. My sand was so clogged it was like cement. Any way, I am just following instructions from the pool store I use. I have shocked every day for a week and put 2 chlorine tablets in the skimmer. She told me to wait until Monday to bring in a water sample. I am not testing it at all myself.

I know nothing about chlorine. I hate to sound so misinformed, but I am trying to learn. I have used Baquacil for 8 years and developed that white mold and pink slime. My sand was so clogged it was like cement. Any way, I am just following instructions from the pool store I use. I have shocked every day for a week and put 2 chlorine tablets in the skimmer. She told me to wait until Monday to bring in a water sample. I am not testing it at all myself.

Danger! Danger!
Danger-WR-WP2.jpg

Most likely, the pool store will sell you a bucket of pucks and some bags of shock and some clarifier and flocculent and metal-free and maybe some phosfree. It'll work for a few weeks but by August you'll be back complaining of a green, cloudy pool and an empty wallet. And you'll resist buying a test kit because you've already spent a fortune on that pool.

A better approach is to understand your pool's chemistry and do your own testing and add only what your pool needs.

Rather than send you off to Pool School, I suggest you go to Baquacil - Use and Conversion, go down to Thread Display Options and expand it beyond two weeks, then look for threads displaying
paperclip.png
See how their experiences compare to yours and see what the after looks like and if you're interested in having the same, do what they did.