New Filter and Pump Question

Jun 26, 2014
Newark, DE
When the pool company opened my pool this year, they said I need to buy a new filter because there is a crack inside the lid. They thought I could get by with it until I got the pool cleaned up (not working) but that I need to replace it because it will shoot DE back into the pool? Anyway, the filter is older (at least 13 years) and is running on a Hayward 1 hp super pump. So my question (s):
1. How difficult are the Quad DE filters to clean? Do you have to take them apart and clean them often or can you backwash?
2. Would either/both the Pentair Quad 80 or Hayward Quad 72 be a good choice (bigger is better?) and if so, do I also need a new pump or will the 1 hp work?
3. Is it worth upgrading to the Quad, because the Perflex I have now has always done a good job, I could just replace it for the exact same model....
Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm a little lost because the pool company and the guys at Leslies are telling me completely different things.

The lid was cracked and I did replace it last year. But the opening company said the piece inside the lid (I guess that holds the DE fingers) is also cracked? They said it would cost almost as much to repair as to get a new filter, so I should get a new filter. Leslie's said basically the same thing, but they said I should get another Hayward, whereas the pool company said Pentair. I planned to get the pool opened and then deal with it, and when the cover came off, the water was fine, dirt on the bottom. But as I was in the process of vacuuming all the dirt out, I got hit with an algae bloom. The person at Leslie's said it was the filter....

I've killed the algae and now I do not seem to be able to filter it out. I have my filter running 24/7 and am having to backflush it several times a day to get the pressure down so that I have good suction in the skimmers. This morning the water is clear but there is still a lot of dead algae on the bottom. I cannot get good enough suction thru my skimmers to vacuum it up, so I have to put my little robot in to help lol. And I have to keep the chlorine level very high so that the algae doesn't grow back. The pool people say it's this part http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-D-E-CX1251-Replacement-Perflex-Extended (basically the whole filter nest) which is expensive. I guess it's worth a try to purchase the top and bottom piece without the fingers, and just see if it works though..... Yesterday when I was doing 24/7 filter pressure watch it occurred to me that maybe, despite the crack, the suction problem is the pump? I don't know but I get the feeling that the both the pool company and Leslies know that I am somewhat inexperienced taking care of this pool on my own and are not necessarily giving me the most economical advice so I am grateful to everyone who has posted and who is helping me with this problem. Sooner or later I will "get it" I hope!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.