Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Filter and Pump Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Filter and Pump Question

When the pool company opened my pool this year, they said I need to buy a new filter because there is a crack inside the lid. They thought I could get by with it until I got the pool cleaned up (not working) but that I need to replace it because it will shoot DE back into the pool? Anyway, the filter is older (at least 13 years) and is running on a Hayward 1 hp super pump. So my question (s):
    1. How difficult are the Quad DE filters to clean? Do you have to take them apart and clean them often or can you backwash?
    2. Would either/both the Pentair Quad 80 or Hayward Quad 72 be a good choice (bigger is better?) and if so, do I also need a new pump or will the 1 hp work?
    3. Is it worth upgrading to the Quad, because the Perflex I have now has always done a good job, I could just replace it for the exact same model....
    Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm a little lost because the pool company and the guys at Leslies are telling me completely different things.
    21,815 IG, vinyl liner
    Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter and Pump
    Rainbow Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Filter and Pump Question

Is there a crack in the filter body?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Possible to replace just the "lid"?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have any experience with DE filters. But, here are a couple of articles from Pool School to check while waiting for some replies.
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

The lid was cracked and I did replace it last year. But the opening company said the piece inside the lid (I guess that holds the DE fingers) is also cracked? They said it would cost almost as much to repair as to get a new filter, so I should get a new filter. Leslie's said basically the same thing, but they said I should get another Hayward, whereas the pool company said Pentair. I planned to get the pool opened and then deal with it, and when the cover came off, the water was fine, dirt on the bottom. But as I was in the process of vacuuming all the dirt out, I got hit with an algae bloom. The person at Leslie's said it was the filter....
    21,815 IG, vinyl liner
    Rainbow Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you seen the part that is cracked?

The parts list is located here: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...C65A-EC75A.pdf

If you can point out which part it is, might be able to find a cheaper supplier for it online and maybe fix it yourself?
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi - thanks for the responses, it is the part that is inside the lid, where the finger/tubes are attached. I probably could buy the part, but it is about $500. The pool people said I could replace the entire filter with a "better" one for less than $1,000.
    21,815 IG, vinyl liner
    Rainbow Chlorinator

8. Back To Top    #8

#18 in that diagram? "Tube sheet top"?

I must be looking at the wrong part, because if that the one, its $30.24 on Amazon: Amazon.com : Hayward ECX1104 Replacement Top Tube Sheet for EC65, EC65A, EC75 or EC75A Filter : Swimming Pool De Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

9. Back To Top    #9

Filters do not cause algae. Low chlorine causes algae. It is important to always keep chlorine above the minimum level for your CYA level so the pool is safely sanitized and algae doesn't grow. Here is the, Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I've killed the algae and now I do not seem to be able to filter it out. I have my filter running 24/7 and am having to backflush it several times a day to get the pressure down so that I have good suction in the skimmers. This morning the water is clear but there is still a lot of dead algae on the bottom. I cannot get good enough suction thru my skimmers to vacuum it up, so I have to put my little robot in to help lol. And I have to keep the chlorine level very high so that the algae doesn't grow back. The pool people say it's this part http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-D-E-CX...rflex-Extended (basically the whole filter nest) which is expensive. I guess it's worth a try to purchase the top and bottom piece without the fingers, and just see if it works though..... Yesterday when I was doing 24/7 filter pressure watch it occurred to me that maybe, despite the crack, the suction problem is the pump? I don't know but I get the feeling that the both the pool company and Leslies know that I am somewhat inexperienced taking care of this pool on my own and are not necessarily giving me the most economical advice so I am grateful to everyone who has posted and who is helping me with this problem. Sooner or later I will "get it" I hope!
    21,815 IG, vinyl liner
    Rainbow Chlorinator