New Test Kit TF-100 - 1st test results

Hi all,

Out pool is new and we still haven't hooked up the salt cell so we are manually chlorinating for another week or two. We are swimming and I think the water is ok but this morning I tested using the TF-100 and below are the results:

pH: 7.8
FC: 4 ppm
CC: 0 ppm
TC: 4 ppm
TA: 50
CYA: not sure...I followed the directions but I could continue to see the black dot even after all of the solution was poured into the cyclinder

Looks like I have no Combined Chloramines - should I be concerned about that? Also, TA is low, according to the directions it should be around 100-120. And what about the CYA?

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what the right adjustments are to make.

thank you

No CC is good! You always want less than .5. :) Being a new pool though, make sure you follow your builder's recommendations for plaster and check out this link: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Once you know for sure you can adjust the levels and add more stabilizer, just follow the recommendation level and Chlorine/CYA chart links below in my sig.

If you continue to have problems reading CYA, we can help.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way - Congrats on the test kit! Best thing you could do for your pool, sanity, and pocketbook. :)

Welcome to the group Marshall! Im new at this also but these guys fixed me right up with their suggestions to get everything back on track for me. I started with a black swamp, haha. Just listen to their suggestions closely and start educating yourself thru the links on Texas Splashs signature. Looks like to me your numbers arent so bad for a first reading though. They'll have you fixed up in no time!

In a nutshell, you have zero CYA and need to get some in your pool.

Use PoolMath and calculate enough to get your pool to 40 ppm.

Once you put it in, there will be no need to test for it for a week or so. Just calc the dose carefully and correctly so you will know it's in there.

What does your water look like?

If you have not added CYA to the pool then there isn't any in there. Put 30ppm in a sock and toss it in the skimmer basket. Chlorinate to CYA of 30.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8
It is important not to let the chlorine level drop below the minimum level for your CYA level. When chlorine drops below minimum level the pool is not properly sanitized and algae will start growing.

It is safe to swim when:
PH is between 7.2 & 7.8
Chlorine is between min and shock for your CYA
Your water is clear

Here is some good stuff to read
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.