Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Test Kit TF-100 - 1st test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile New Test Kit TF-100 - 1st test results

Hi all,

Out pool is new and we still haven't hooked up the salt cell so we are manually chlorinating for another week or two. We are swimming and I think the water is ok but this morning I tested using the TF-100 and below are the results:

pH: 7.8
    FC: 4 ppm
    CC: 0 ppm
    TC: 4 ppm
    TA: 50
    CYA: not sure...I followed the directions but I could continue to see the black dot even after all of the solution was poured into the cyclinder

Looks like I have no Combined Chloramines - should I be concerned about that? Also, TA is low, according to the directions it should be around 100-120. And what about the CYA?

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what the right adjustments are to make.

thank you
    My Pool: 19,000 gallon In-Ground Screen Enclosed, Finish: NPT StoneScapes Mini Pebble Tropics Blue, Controller/Heater: Hayward ProLogic P4 w/T-15 SWG
    Pool Filter: Hayward Cartridge Star Clear Plus, Pool Pump: Hayward VSP SP3400VSP, No Spa, TF-100 Test Kit.
    Pool Installation: Plaster Complete 5/23/2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Test Kit TF-100 - 1st test results

No CC is good! You always want less than .5. Being a new pool though, make sure you follow your builder's recommendations for plaster and check out this link: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Once you know for sure you can adjust the levels and add more stabilizer, just follow the recommendation level and Chlorine/CYA chart links below in my sig.

If you continue to have problems reading CYA, we can help.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way - Congrats on the test kit! Best thing you could do for your pool, sanity, and pocketbook.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the group Marshall! Im new at this also but these guys fixed me right up with their suggestions to get everything back on track for me. I started with a black swamp, haha. Just listen to their suggestions closely and start educating yourself thru the links on Texas Splashs signature. Looks like to me your numbers arent so bad for a first reading though. They'll have you fixed up in no time!
    15,000 gal - AG - Vinyl Beaded Liner
    Pentair Meteor 22" Sand Filter
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP Pump
    Installed Summer 2014
    TF-100 Test Kit, City Water

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! On my first post it was recommended that I get the TF-100 so I started there...

The builder and the manufacturer say that we're good to swim as soon as we can balance chemicals. I'll take a look at the CYA chart now. thanks!
    My Pool: 19,000 gallon In-Ground Screen Enclosed, Finish: NPT StoneScapes Mini Pebble Tropics Blue, Controller/Heater: Hayward ProLogic P4 w/T-15 SWG
    Pool Filter: Hayward Cartridge Star Clear Plus, Pool Pump: Hayward VSP SP3400VSP, No Spa, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

This link/thread has some more info on how to do the CYA test. Maybe it will help you.

CYA test
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

In a nutshell, you have zero CYA and need to get some in your pool.

Use PoolMath and calculate enough to get your pool to 40 ppm.

Once you put it in, there will be no need to test for it for a week or so. Just calc the dose carefully and correctly so you will know it's in there.

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Perfect, thanks duraleigh. Water is clear and looks great. temp is 82 degrees!

I just want to be sure all of the levels are safe for the kids. I'm headed to the store shortly to take care of the CYA issue. Thanks for the help.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have not added CYA to the pool then there isn't any in there. Put 30ppm in a sock and toss it in the skimmer basket. Chlorinate to CYA of 30.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8
    It is important not to let the chlorine level drop below the minimum level for your CYA level. When chlorine drops below minimum level the pool is not properly sanitized and algae will start growing.

It is safe to swim when:
    PH is between 7.2 & 7.8
    Chlorine is between min and shock for your CYA
    Your water is clear

Here is some good stuff to read
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach