Was green swamp now it's cloudy!

Jun 13, 2015
Walstonburg/NC
Ok so I am new to posting as well as clearing up green water. Here's my story... I failed to cover my pool this year and naturally wound up with a swamp. I didn't want to drain if I didn't have to so I did some online research and started working on it. I've been at it for almost a month now. I first removed as much debris as I could then I used Clorox brand 1lb bags of shock plus (about 4 lbs over a week span) and some algaecide both from Wal-Mart with filter only running 24/7. It changed color pretty quick but was really cloudy so I used test strips (I know they aren't especially accurate but I had them so) my ph and alkalinity was LOW so I did more research and added regular baking soda with filter running. I also removed more debris since I could see it a bit better. No real change in color but readings were a bit better aside from no chlorine at all. At this point I put in a floater with chlorine tabs in it the kind you punch holes in and hooked up the swg. SWG has been running for almost a week. I also use a mesh skimmer sock and check and clean it as well as the filter very regularly although until today I was using fairly cheap filters from Wal-Mart. So my problem is my Pool is still just as cloudy as ever. So today I took a sample to pool store and these were my readings
FC. 0.54
TC. 0.92
CC. 0.38
pH. 7.5
TA. 40
CA. 53
Hardness 18
Phosphate 500
SALT. 4500

The pool supply place was very busy today so I didn't really get any help there so I am hoping someone here can help me get my pool clear again. SWG is running 4 hours a day. And floater is still in pool. Pool holds approximately 5500 gallons.

Welcome to TFP! The test strips and the pool store testing are a waste of time. They are so wrong so many times that us trying to make recommendations based on them often results in making pools worse, not better.

Read the Pool School - Test Kits Compared and get a good test kit. I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net. They ship fast, usually same day. And they ship from NC so you will have it in a day or two.

While you are waiting for a test kit check out some of these great article on how to maintain your water chemistry.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.