Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert Baquacity to Simple Blue (anyone heard of this)

1. Back To Top    #1

Davenport, Ia

Convert Baquacity to Simple Blue (anyone heard of this)

I opened my pool 2 weeks ago and it is green! Yuck!. I have tried all I can. The reason I do not convert to chlorine is because my husband hates chlorine smell. Has anyone tried using Simple Blue?? Right now I am letting my pool run out of Baquacil and then I am going to switch it over. Please let me know. My pool is an above ground and is 18 X 24. Thanks for any info as I am very frustrated right now.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Convert Baquacity to Simple Blue (anyone heard of this)

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are thinking of switching from a bad system to a worse one.

If you maintain the chlorine correctly, there is no smell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Georgetown, ON, Canada

Hi Shelly, welcome. It's true, the smell that people associate with chlorine, e.g. hotel pools, is due to poor maintenance of the chemistry levels. That smell is actually from chloramines. My salt water chlorine pool feels nice and soft, and has a fresh clean smell to it
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

East Hampton CT

It looks like Simple Blue is an additive and appears useless, IMO. The following is from their website:

Simple Blue Pool Manager is formulated to be compatible with chlorine generators used for salt systems. Additionally, Simple Blue is compatable with chlorine, bromine, and ozone systems.

Simple Blue Pool Manager is a proactive system working to prevent water problems from becoming your problems. Simplify your pool maintenance and try Simple Blue.
    If Simple Blue is compatible with chlorine, then why use it? Chlorine "prevent water problems from becoming your problems" all on its own.

I just completed my conversion from Baquacil to chlorine last night, when I replaced my sand and added stabilizer. It's not a hard process if you stay on it (boost Free Chlorine levels with liquid chlorine every hour during daylight hours over a two day period. 3 times a day after that (early Morning, Evening, and Nightfall). Then brush, vaccuum, and backwash at least once a day until OCLT. The heavy lifting is complete in about 4 days. From then it's mainly brushing and vacuuming and there is no smell if the water is properly balanced.
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5
    NW Ohio

Welcome to TFP!

I agree with above, Simply Blue is not a very good system, especially when compared to TFPC. The methods taught here create a different pool experience than typical chlorine methods. We properly measure and maintain the levels in our pools, but it is not as complicated as it sounds. It produces a much cleaner, safer, and yes better smelling pool than baqua, typical chlorine nethods, or any mineral sanitizer system.

I hope you will look around the site and see some of the success stories we have. It really is a much different system than you may think.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits