Low PH and Alkalinity. Helping a neighbor out.

Jul 14, 2012
Cleveland, OH
So i have been doing the BBB method for 2 years and love it. I have a neighbor with an above ground pool who says he has been having a yellow dusting on the bottom of his pool and only tests with test strips. Pool looked pretty good with a couple spots that look like it could be mustard algae or pollen behind the ladder. he says he spent the last couple days vacuuming the pool and adding chemicals to raise FC. I took my trusty kit over and took some quick measurements

FC - 12
CC - 0
PH - 6.2 or less(definitely not any shade on the test kit)
ALK - 10??? didn't even turn green when i added the R-0008 solution and got a bit brighter after adding just 1 drop of the R-0009.
CYA - 40 to 50
CH - 130

First question. With CC's at 0 could the yellow stuff be mustard algae? I always thought that if you are actually trying to get rid of an algae bloom then you would have an elevated CC. My second guess is it could be pollen.

Second question. My buddy is real hard headed dude and it's very hard to convince the guy. He says that if the chlorine level is in range and the pool looks clear that he doesn't have to mess with PH and ALK and thats why is numbers are so low. Besides knowing what google can tell us what are the major effects of the low PH and Alk. I mean it mostly talks about it ruining equipment and possibly hurting your eyes with a high PH. How can i convince the dude to level his PH and Alk levels. It's quite obvious that if the pool is clear and chlorine level is high he thinks there is no damage going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow i had to go back 3 times and try to figure out my curse word so i could post this....haha. it's a darn shame...hahaha

he also uses a nature 2 cartridge and chlorine tabs to sanitize the pool. i told him to ditch the tabs and nature 2 and just use bleach. we have a rural king in our area that sells 4 gallon 10% shock for 9.99. during memorial day it goes on sale for 6.99 and then goes to the price of 7.99 till the end of the year. best price i have ever seen around me.

If he's stubborn, you may never convince him to come over to TFP. As far as pH being of no concern, asking him if he would swim in a pool of acid. That is the direction his is headed. Although not a strong acid, his pool is acidic. I have a few neighbors who always come to me for advice when they have a problem with their pool, but none have made the full leap to THP. They seem to think it's too much work or too complex to understand.

yeah chiefwej, my wife was the same way and has since turned over a new leaf...haha.

I was reading the side effects of low PH to him and he was like my eyes don't burn and kinda brushed it off saying the pool is clear and chlorine is high. meanwhile he has a 4 and 2 year old who are going to be swimming in the pool.

i left and told him to raise the PH and then raise the ALK once PH is in normal range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.