Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low PH and Alkalinity. Helping a neighbor out.

1. Back To Top    #1

Low PH and Alkalinity. Helping a neighbor out.

So i have been doing the BBB method for 2 years and love it. I have a neighbor with an above ground pool who says he has been having a yellow dusting on the bottom of his pool and only tests with test strips. Pool looked pretty good with a couple spots that look like it could be mustard algae or pollen behind the ladder. he says he spent the last couple days vacuuming the pool and adding chemicals to raise FC. I took my trusty kit over and took some quick measurements

FC - 12
    CC - 0
    PH - 6.2 or less(definitely not any shade on the test kit)
    ALK - 10??? didn't even turn green when i added the R-0008 solution and got a bit brighter after adding just 1 drop of the R-0009.
    CYA - 40 to 50
    CH - 130

First question. With CC's at 0 could the yellow stuff be mustard algae? I always thought that if you are actually trying to get rid of an algae bloom then you would have an elevated CC. My second guess is it could be pollen.

Second question. My buddy is real hard headed dude and it's very hard to convince the guy. He says that if the chlorine level is in range and the pool looks clear that he doesn't have to mess with PH and ALK and thats why is numbers are so low. Besides knowing what google can tell us what are the major effects of the low PH and Alk. I mean it mostly talks about it ruining equipment and possibly hurting your eyes with a high PH. How can i convince the dude to level his PH and Alk levels. It's quite obvious that if the pool is clear and chlorine level is high he thinks there is no damage going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow i had to go back 3 times and try to figure out my curse word so i could post this....haha. it's a darn shame...hahaha
    27,000 gal. vinyl inground.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump
    Triton II TR-100 sand filter
    Hayward C-500CF chemical feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low PH and Alkalinity. Helping a neighbor out.

he also uses a nature 2 cartridge and chlorine tabs to sanitize the pool. i told him to ditch the tabs and nature 2 and just use bleach. we have a rural king in our area that sells 4 gallon 10% shock for 9.99. during memorial day it goes on sale for 6.99 and then goes to the price of 7.99 till the end of the year. best price i have ever seen around me.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If he's stubborn, you may never convince him to come over to TFP. As far as pH being of no concern, asking him if he would swim in a pool of acid. That is the direction his is headed. Although not a strong acid, his pool is acidic. I have a few neighbors who always come to me for advice when they have a problem with their pool, but none have made the full leap to THP. They seem to think it's too much work or too complex to understand.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah chiefwej, my wife was the same way and has since turned over a new leaf...haha.

I was reading the side effects of low PH to him and he was like my eyes don't burn and kinda brushed it off saying the pool is clear and chlorine is high. meanwhile he has a 4 and 2 year old who are going to be swimming in the pool.

i left and told him to raise the PH and then raise the ALK once PH is in normal range.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

"There are none so deaf as those who will not hear"
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Pull an end run. Tell his wife about the acidic pool and let her nag him into fixing it. Email her links like CDC - Your Disinfection Team: Chlorine Recreational Water - Healthy Water
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks Richard. going to forward that link to him now.

regarding the mustard algae or pollen. would mustard algae show up on a test? his CC's were at 0.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump