Getting ready to tackle algae problem

Jun 13, 2015
Mobile/AL
Hello all,

We have had our pool since June of last year and have had nothing but trouble with green algae. Neither my husband nor I have really educated ourselves (until now) about how to properly maintain pool chemicals. I have been reading/researching this site for about a week and received my TF100 test kit today. I did the testing a little while ago and believe I am ready to tackle the problem.

My test results are:

FC = 5
CC = 1.5
TC = 6.5
CH = 50
TA = 150
CYA = 80
pH = 7.2

Obviously my CYA is too high. My plan is to drain about half of the volume of the pool and replace it tomorrow. I will then retest everything to figure out how much liquid chlorine I need to buy to SLAM the pool properly. I plan to start that early Monday morning. Here's my question - I will be home all day Monday and Tuesday, but will be gone Wednesday morning. Do you think I will have it under control enough by then so as to not lose any ground?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Hello Stephanie and welcome! :) Very happy to hear you have the TF-100 and are already prepared to take action. :goodjob: Two days is a solid start - absolutely. Will your SLAM FC level drop Weds if you're not around ... it's possible. But if you can't make any other arrangements (i.e someone puts a couple gallons of bleach in for you), just give it a healthy dose before you leave and perhaps pick-up where you left off. Not the worse thing that could happen, at least you know what to do. :) Very happy to have you on the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, your test results aren't too terribly bad. Hopefully you will gain ground early in the week and any delay won't set you back too bad.

Welcome! :wave:

Why wait? Start draining now. If there's a bunch of sludge in the pool, vacuum blindly with the filter valve set on waste. That will dredge all the crud up and expel it out the backwash line and you'll be rid of it for good. Won't have to backwash it out of the filter, won't waste bleach trying to oxidize it away.

Finish the drain tomorrow, refill it, recheck CYA, adjust pH, and Go! You can have that pool a pale blue-grey and possibly be able to see the floor by Tuesday if you are diligent. (Some would say obsessed) Missing a few hours on Wednesday will be a speedbump not a roadblock if you get a fast start on it.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the pool could be sparkling clear by next weekend. Start sending out invoitations for Fourth of July at your house so you can show it off.

Thank you!!! I should only be gone for about 3 hours on Wed, so I'll hit it hard before I leave and hope for the best!

- - - Updated - - -

I had planned to vacuum and start draining tonight, but today was a physically exhausting day (not because of the pool, but because of other random stuff). I have some health problems and am done in for the day. However, I have my alarm set so that I'll be up at sunrise and will get started then. I plan to vacuum to waste, scrub the sides, and then start draining. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.