Can't Thank You Enough!

Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
This is my second summer with my pool.

My first year I was too afraid to try the TFPC method because I understood nothing about water chemistry and didn't know what I was doing.

This year I took the plunge and purchased a Taylor test kit and followed the advice of everyone on this forum.

I successfully completed a slam procedure and my water has been perfect ever since. I am so grateful for all of the advice and help of everyone here. I feel like I'm finally in control and no longer at the mercy of the varying opinions and advice of pool stores.

I'm ashamed to say that last year, in the two and a half months that my pool was open, I spent $570 on chemicals. This year, since converting to the trouble free method, I've spent about $35. It's amazing. My water has been consistently in balance and only needs minor tweaks here and there.

The other impressive thing I've noticed since converting which I certainly did not expect is that I don't have to backwash my filter nearly as often. When using the 3" and 1" chlorinating tabs, it never failed that the two days after adding them to the skimmer, I would have to backwash. I had thought maybe the pucks might be causing the pressure to increase, but figured that was just silly and that I was stupid and it was a coincidence. I had to backwash twice per week last year. I've backwashed once in the past month. Incredible!

Thank you all so, so much. I am so very grateful to this website and the people on it for their knowledge and willingness to help others!

I'm not sure how the Trichlor pucks have anything to do with the frequency of backwashing unless your FC was too low for your CYA and you were getting nascent algae growth that was getting caught in the filter. If you were spending lots of money on products last year, then I suspect you might have been using a clarifier and that it was gumming up your filter.

I'm not sure how the Trichlor pucks have anything to do with the frequency of backwashing unless your FC was too low for your CYA and you were getting nascent algae growth that was getting caught in the filter. If you were spending lots of money on products last year, then I suspect you might have been using a clarifier and that it was gumming up your filter.

I consistently had high FC as I listened to the pool store and shocked every single week. I don't remember ever using a "clarifier"... my weekly maintenance always consisted of the 1" and 3" Sustain tablets (and then adding this that and the other to fix whatever was off (ph, alkalinity, etc). I always noticed after the 1" tablets had dissolved, they would leave behind a clear to semi-opaque "shell" type material in the skimmer basket, which I would have to hose out. Is there some type of chemical that bonds the tablets to maintain their shape? Perhaps that caused it?

This MSDS indicates that Sustain Chlorinating Tablets are actually Cal-Hypo, not Trichlor. That would increase Calcium Hardness (CH) over time and to make Cal-Hypo into tablets they add binders that are gummy so that is probably what you saw and may be what was clogging the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.