I have a 16 x 38 foot in-ground pool that uses a sand filtration system. I attempted to open the pool myself this season for the first time and am encountering difficulties. I apologize but this is going to be a long and detailed explanation! Here is what I did:
- removed all the water/leaves/debris that collected on top of the winter pool cover;
- removed the winter pool cover;
- got the water back up to level;
- re-installed the pump to the filtration system/intake pipes;
- removed the winter plugs from the (2) return jets in the deep end and the plug in the skimmer;
- replaced the plug that was on the bottom of the sand filter.
I then promptly turned everything on. I suspect that I should have bled the air from the system, but I did not initially.
Now realizing my mistake, I have been putting the filter system on "recirculate" and have attempted several times to bleed out air (by leaving the plug off the filter and waiting until a steady stream comes out, then turning off the system and doing the same while on the "filter" setting).
This has not worked. I am taking up water from the pool but as soon as it starts rushing in the pool pump itself starts switching on and off. I also do not show any pressure on the gauge. I suspect I still have too much air in the lines that might be tripping the pump off (the pump is still in working condition). I also hear water filling up the large sand filtration basin too at this time. Perhaps I was supposed to fill this up before turning the system on?
I don't know what I am missing. I suspect it is something obvious. Can anyone more skilled offer me any advice? I have only owned the pool for 2 years and am admittedly a novice! Appreciate any advice anyone can give me!