HELP! Intex wall fittings too small for Hayward pump/filter

I learned last summer that the cartridge filter for my Intex pool wasn't very effective...so I saved for a 14inch Hayward Sand filter. The Hayward hoses are 1 1/2 inches and the wall fitting is 1 1/4 inch. I have an easy set pool 15' X 48". I can't find any adapters and I am not sure what to do...all pool stores look at me like I am crazy.... My pump is 40 GPM so it is strong just afraid if I use 1 1/4 inch hose it won't be able to accommodate the strong flow....PLEASE ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! My kids are desperate to swim in this AZ heat but I don't want to fill it up until I have the filter system figured out!!

Just cut the holes larger with an Xacto knife. It's easy and your liner won't rip.

temporary_zps3a1c37f7.jpg

If your intex hoses are 40mm then this adaptor will work. It is made by Game. I got mine from the local pool store but Amazon sells them as well. I will post a link for amazon for you. I installed my pool with a Hayward Cartridge Filter last week and this was by far the easiest method. The only thing that I did was use the a better quality Teflon tape that I got at Lowes, it does come with the Teflon tape but I wanted a little better quality. The tape that came with the adaptors should work I just decided to use a better quality tape.

You can see the grey adaptors in the photo ... The pipe is 1 1/2" PVC ...

Amazon.com : GAME 4560 40mm to 1 1/2 Inch Conversion Kit (For Intex Garden

I see that your pool is a framed pool....do u think the liner on the easy set pool (has a top ring no frame) will hold up and not rip if I cut the hole bigger?? Also my pump/filter didn't come with the pool wall fittings. My local store doesn't have the kind with rubber gasket in between...do you suggest a specific brand of 1 1/2inch of wall fitting??

Just cut the holes larger with an Xacto knife. It's easy and your liner won't rip.

temporary_zps3a1c37f7.jpg

I see no reason you could not do the same with an Easy Set pool. My Hayward skimmer came with a 1.5" return eyeball that works well. Have you tried to find one online?

Once I read your message about cutting the wall I starting researching and I am gonna see if my local pool store has that eyelet return fitting and intake if not I will definitely buy online... I think my Intex pool is different than most my hoses did not screw into the wall fittings with a nut on the end of the hose.... Just a hose clamp. I think cutting is the way then buy the 1.5 inch fittings for Hayward hose. Local pool store told me to just use 1.25 inch hose but my fear is that my pump will be pushing water too fast and it will cause issues. Do you agree?

15' X 48" easy set pool. Hayward 14 inch sand filter and 40 GPM pump.....I know I will be able to use it one day!!

[1QUOTE=jeffchap;840730]Here's the one I have: Amazon.com : 1-1/2 Garden

I don't have an intake fitting because I have an in-wall skimmer.[/QUOTE]

I originally used the 1.25" fittings on my 14'x42" Intex, and they were adequate. Granted I only have the 1600 GPH pump vs your 2400 GPH. I don't think you'd blow anything out by using them. But for the greatest efficiency, I'd upgrade to the 1.5" soon.

You could go ahead and fill the pool and let the kids swim now while waiting for the new fittings to arrive. Then just drain below the lowest hole when you're ready to install the new ones. With an Easy Set, you'll probably need to have someone help you by holding the ring up to keep the vinyl taut when you cut the hole out.

There's really nothing to it. Just send the wife indoors, take a shot of whiskey, and start cutting. I've "operated" on two of them now with no mishaps. Even installed the Hayward Dyna-skim through the wall skimmer. If I can do it, anyone can.

Thank you so much.....all the local pool store guys look at me like I am crazy...but why buy a whole new pool when I can make this one work!! Only problem with your last remarks is I am the "wife" lol..... I am a single mom and build everything and fix everything for the kids :) but definitely will be taking a shot of whiskey and have my oldest hold it taut to "operate"!! Thanks a million I feel more confident about this now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used the intex hoses on my 4000gph (67gpm) hayward and they somewhat worked. I had one of the supply hoses that partially collapsed at a bend. Getting rid of the hoses and installing PVC really made things run well and I didn't have to worry about one of my hoses popping off from the pressure. I think the hoses would work on your pool, judging how they were almost adequate for my pump rating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.