Hi I'm Devon and I love this site!

devon

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hello fellow poolaholics ...
New member here and am so glad I found this site.
Quick background -
Newly remodeled backyard including updating circa 1960's pool.
New plaster, plumbing, gas line, electrical, dedicated vacuum line, auto-fill... the works.
Pool filled week before Memorial Day 2015.
Old Pool: Constantly fighting algae - now I know why thanks to this site - Tablets! AGGG..
Have no idea what my CYA was, but 15 years of using tablets and never changed the water - must have been sky high
Routine was ... add 1/2 gal liquid chlorine wed and sat and keep floater full of tablets. Only monitored Ph and made sure chlorine test showed some yellow. Then every few weeks - algae break out. Vacuum and Sweep and add extra gallon (or two) of chlorine, run pump on high continuously, vacuum and sweep, wait, sweep, clean filter, sweep, wait, sweep ... and pool was ready for the weekend. Only to repeat several weeks later.
Oh and when I say - clean filter - I mean open it up and pull out grids, rinse off completely, put back in, add DE. I didn't know about backwashing! Plus vacuum by hand - no automated pool cleaner.
Needless to say, this was a love/hate relationship I had with my pool ....
And the saga would have continued, new pool or not, had I not found this site.
Ordered the TP-100 test kit and am now a much more educated pool owner. (Also ordered a backwash hose so I can try that out for the first time).
Here are my readings this morning.
FC: 6 /CC:0 / Ph: 7.8 / CYA: 50 / TA: 120 / CH: 400
(Note: Not 100% sure about CH - that was calculation for the first slight bit of blue I saw - but lots of red dots. 450 if you count mostly blue and few red dots remaining)
(Also keeping close eye on Ph, which keeps rising due to curing plaster. Added 20oz acid after testing to drop it back to 7.5)

I have a couple of questions -
1) I calculated my pump RPM's and run time to turn the water over 2 times a day. What is the recommended turnover?
2) Filling the pool took 36 hours and my builder seemed worried about the slow fill rate. The plaster color was silver and I think it looks 'splotchy'. The builder said this was normal. Is it? Would the fill rate possibly contribute to this? I imagine nothing will change it, but am curious. Hoped that the longer it cured the more uniform it would look, but evidently not.
metalstain.jpg
Oh and I did read about the ascorbic acid treatment for my metal stains on my new plaster... can't wait to try. I think this must have happened from metal shavings from when they installed the iron pool fence. I was so bummed. Tried one of those sanding stones in a small area and only managed to being scratching the plaster and stopped - not a worthwhile trade off for the minimal good it was doing.

Wishing you all stable Ph and no CC's
Devon

Welcome Devon. Congratulations on the new pool and your "awakening" with TFP. Got the TF-100 :goodjob: You expect several replies regarding your issues.

You may have already seen this page, but just in case: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Again, welcome!

Hi Tex -
Thanks for the link. It looks like my builder used the Acid startup. I was brushing twice a day religiously for first couple weeks. Once the plaster dust didn't brush off for several days and my builder installed the automatic pool cleaner, I've been much less diligent on brushing.
My plaster on my steps sure looks blotchy compared to the steps in the pic at the end of the article you linked to. Sigh ...

Checked my water at end of day:
Ph: 7.5 - What I expected it to go down to
FC: 3.5ppm - Whoa. Dropped 2.5ppm in a day. Added another 25 oz. of 12% liquid chlorine (not bleach) to compensate back to 6

Is that much chlorine loss in a day normal?

Thanks,
Devon

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the "new" pool!

2-4ppm chlorine use per day is fairly typical. Turnover is not important in residential pools.

Once you are through start up it is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8. And it is very important to keep chlorine above the the minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times to properly sanitize your pool and keep algae from growing. Here is the Chlorine CYA Chart

Have you read some Pool School yet? Here are some of my fave Pool School articles.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thanks pooldv. Will be checking and adding daily.
I had already printed that CYA chart and taped it to the back of my test kit instructions for easy reference.
I was not keeping chlorine levels high enough until I found that chart.
I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and have reviewed your favorites.
Read as much as I needed to answer my questions and am finally ready for my official introduction.
Devon