Need help with this "sealant" and leak (pics)

Aug 12, 2012
Tecumseh, MI
Inherited the pool 3 years ago with the house...

Upon start up this year, noticed I have a small leak (maybe 6-10 drops per minute) from the sealant on my filter tank outlet.

I have no idea what any of these parts are called, or what this stuff/substance/sealant is called, I know it feels like gum or putty or calk. But it's definitely leaking, I think from multiple spots. (I actually think it started last summer, a little slower...seems like I noticed it then).

I've attached pics since I have no idea what to call the parts, substance, or how to accurately describe it. I can post more pics if desired, was limited to 2 b/c of the size but I can post more if that would be helpful.

My questions are:
1. How to do I fix it? Is this something I can just put on another layer? Or do I have to take that joint all apart and reapply stuff?
2. If I have to get more of that putty/gum/calk substance, what the heck is it and where do I get it?
3. I do have a little bit of tiny bubbles coming out the return (I can actually hear it more than I can see them). Can they be caused by this? Or must I have a leak on the other side (suction side?) of the plumbing...maybe even from a similar joint on that side?

Thanks!

That's plumbers putty and, at some point, it looks like that seal has had a good yank pulled on it and broken the seal. The correct way is to redo the seal.

1. Disconnect the small hose from the fitting. That plastic clamp may not be reusable and you'll have to get another one

2. Disconnect the hose clamp and remove the hose.

3. The Black fitting and white adapter should now unscrew.

Clean out ALL the old putty and apply new neatly to the threads....assemble in reverse.

The bubbles are from the suction side....not related to this issue

You can do this yourself with just a little careful work and save yourself some bucks.

That's plumbers putty and, at some point, it looks like that seal has had a good yank pulled on it and broken the seal. The correct way is to redo the seal.

1. Disconnect the small hose from the fitting. That plastic clamp may not be reusable and you'll have to get another one

2. Disconnect the hose clamp and remove the hose.

3. The Black fitting and white adapter should now unscrew.

Clean out ALL the old putty and apply new neatly to the threads....assemble in reverse.

The bubbles are from the suction side....not related to this issue

You can do this yourself with just a little careful work and save yourself some bucks.

Thanks...a couple follow-ups and clarifications...

- I assume I can just pick up some basic plumber's putty from Lowe's?

- Leave the white adapter in the filter housing and unscrew the black fitting from it? Or remove the white adapter from the filter housing, then remove the black fitting from the white adapter? (not sure about "how" that white adapter is "in the filter housing").

- Note: That small hose is from a Puck Chlorinator that used to be used...I quit using it but haven't found a good way to cap the nipples that are in those black fittings to allow for the line for the chlorinator.

Thanks for the follow-ups.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.