Help us make it clear please!

Hi everyone. We bought a house that came with an AG 15,000 gallon pool almost 3 years ago. When we got it, we finished up the season knowing nothing but were given simple instructions and we managed fine and we closed it up fine. Last year, we opened it fine, chemicals were good for a month-ish and the pool looked inviting. Last year was a terrible year for our family, my husband lost his sister as well as he was diagnosed with cancer. The pool took a back burner. Between our normal jobs and appointments and you name it...it developed algae due to us #1)not knowing what we were doing #2)trusting the pool companies #3)not having time to commit to it. We unfortunately relied on the pool companies and all they did was have us spend a ton of money on things that didn't 100% work. We ended up closing the pool early (yes it was still a mess). When it came time to open it this year, we paid a company a come out and install a new sand filter (we previously had an old cartridge filter) and open the pool and get the chemicals off on the right foot for us. I can't say we were completely pleased, when he opened the pool, he dumped everything that was on the cover of the pool into the pool! That was nasty sitting water/leaves/etc that had been accumulating for over 6 months! By the time he was "done", the water was almost clear, it was a pretty blue, and you could see piles of debris sitting in the bottom, which he told us to use our Polaris to get out or scoop it out.
As soon as we started this project, everything got stirred up. We've vacuumed the pool, used the Polaris, scooped out as much as we can...and we have this cloudy aquamarine/teal color and you can't see the bottom.
I tested the pool about an hour ago and here were the results, we use a Taylor K2006 kit to do it ourselves since we found we got different results when we took the same pool sample to 3 different pool companies.
FC: 2.8ppm
CC: 1.2ppm
Ph: 7.2
TA: 70ppm
CH: 170ppm
CYA: 60ppm

We just received this test kit at the beginning of the month and we've been able to successfully raise and lower results as needed thanks to the treatment guide provided with the kit.
This result was the highest the CC has been since we started testing. TA, CH, and CYA have been very stable since we originally got them corrected. The only things we're closely monitoring and adding are chlorine and soda ash as needed.
The big question is how to be get our pool sparkling blue?

Welcome! :wave:

This right here: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Scoop out what debris you can, brush every inch of the thing, and keep the FC level at shock level for as long as it takes to clear. That's it. No big secret, no magic potions, just diligence and bleach. We call it Shock Level And Maintain. You've already got a good test kit, so you're happenin'. You probably ought to order up some refills for the R-0870 and R-0871 now because you'll be burning through them at an amazing rate.

Some Inspirational threads. Newest are last, so start at the end and move backwards.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:. First, I want to say sorry for all the pool and personal issues you've had. I hope at the very least we can help you with this issue to help have a nice summer. Great to hear you have the Taylor K2006! So let's crunch your numbers:
- Look to be a candidate for a SLAM (link below). When you read it, remember the key word is "MAINTAIN".
- Your FC is low which would allow algae to bloom causing your CC to be over .5.
- With a CYA of 60, your FC "SLAM" level needs to be 24 until you pass the 3 criteria.
- Your PH is perfect to SLAM, and your TA is fine as well.

Suggest you implement the SLAM right away. Read the instructions carefully, and let us know if you have any questions. Just have a good amount of regular liquid bleach on hand and ready to keep that FC up at 24. You can do this! We can assist. Let us know if you have any questions.

Hello :handwave:, and welcome to TFP !

Sorry to here of your troubles, I hope everything turns for the better !
As soon as I post this, if not before, there will be very good folks who will help you step by step to get a crystal clear pool. And once you get used to using the TFP method, I promise you will have a beautiful pool that will be easy to maintain. I'll be here to offer support and help, but more importantly there will be Pros that will give you the help that I can't. Hang in there help is on the way. Again, welcome :thumleft:

See, I told you they were fast !

Last edited:
#1 problem here is the chlorine level is too low. That is always the root cause of algae. Chlorine must always be maintained above the minimum level for the CYA level to keep the pool safely sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

In your case right now CYA is 60 and FC is 3. Minimum FC is 5 and target is 7. So, algae is growing in the pool right now. Run for the bleach! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sweetietweet! Love it! CUTE name!

You are so heading in the right direction! Bleach is your friend right now. LOTS of bleach!

Please take a good picture of your pool each day. Take a pic of the steps is the best. What it will show you is the changes your do not notice if you just look at it every day. If you just use your eyes you will think nothing is happen where the pic will show the color change.

HUGS! You are doing it!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.