Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help us make it clear please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help us make it clear please!

Hi everyone. We bought a house that came with an AG 15,000 gallon pool almost 3 years ago. When we got it, we finished up the season knowing nothing but were given simple instructions and we managed fine and we closed it up fine. Last year, we opened it fine, chemicals were good for a month-ish and the pool looked inviting. Last year was a terrible year for our family, my husband lost his sister as well as he was diagnosed with cancer. The pool took a back burner. Between our normal jobs and appointments and you name it...it developed algae due to us #1)not knowing what we were doing #2)trusting the pool companies #3)not having time to commit to it. We unfortunately relied on the pool companies and all they did was have us spend a ton of money on things that didn't 100% work. We ended up closing the pool early (yes it was still a mess). When it came time to open it this year, we paid a company a come out and install a new sand filter (we previously had an old cartridge filter) and open the pool and get the chemicals off on the right foot for us. I can't say we were completely pleased, when he opened the pool, he dumped everything that was on the cover of the pool into the pool! That was nasty sitting water/leaves/etc that had been accumulating for over 6 months! By the time he was "done", the water was almost clear, it was a pretty blue, and you could see piles of debris sitting in the bottom, which he told us to use our Polaris to get out or scoop it out.
    As soon as we started this project, everything got stirred up. We've vacuumed the pool, used the Polaris, scooped out as much as we can...and we have this cloudy aquamarine/teal color and you can't see the bottom.
    I tested the pool about an hour ago and here were the results, we use a Taylor K2006 kit to do it ourselves since we found we got different results when we took the same pool sample to 3 different pool companies.
    FC: 2.8ppm
    CC: 1.2ppm
    Ph: 7.2
    TA: 70ppm
    CH: 170ppm
    CYA: 60ppm

We just received this test kit at the beginning of the month and we've been able to successfully raise and lower results as needed thanks to the treatment guide provided with the kit.
    This result was the highest the CC has been since we started testing. TA, CH, and CYA have been very stable since we originally got them corrected. The only things we're closely monitoring and adding are chlorine and soda ash as needed.
    The big question is how to be get our pool sparkling blue?
    15,000 gallon AG pool
    Total Water Management (TWM) Sand Filter 22"
    City Water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help us make it clear please!

Have you checked out pool school? Your FC is too low for your CYA and you need to SLAM your pool.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

This right here: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Scoop out what debris you can, brush every inch of the thing, and keep the FC level at shock level for as long as it takes to clear. That's it. No big secret, no magic potions, just diligence and bleach. We call it Shock Level And Maintain. You've already got a good test kit, so you're happenin'. You probably ought to order up some refills for the R-0870 and R-0871 now because you'll be burning through them at an amazing rate.

Some Inspirational threads. Newest are last, so start at the end and move backwards.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! . First, I want to say sorry for all the pool and personal issues you've had. I hope at the very least we can help you with this issue to help have a nice summer. Great to hear you have the Taylor K2006! So let's crunch your numbers:
    - Look to be a candidate for a SLAM (link below). When you read it, remember the key word is "MAINTAIN".
    - Your FC is low which would allow algae to bloom causing your CC to be over .5.
    - With a CYA of 60, your FC "SLAM" level needs to be 24 until you pass the 3 criteria.
    - Your PH is perfect to SLAM, and your TA is fine as well.

Suggest you implement the SLAM right away. Read the instructions carefully, and let us know if you have any questions. Just have a good amount of regular liquid bleach on hand and ready to keep that FC up at 24. You can do this! We can assist. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello , and welcome to TFP !

Sorry to here of your troubles, I hope everything turns for the better !
    As soon as I post this, if not before, there will be very good folks who will help you step by step to get a crystal clear pool. And once you get used to using the TFP method, I promise you will have a beautiful pool that will be easy to maintain. I'll be here to offer support and help, but more importantly there will be Pros that will give you the help that I can't. Hang in there help is on the way. Again, welcome

See, I told you they were fast !
    Last edited by lefty51; 06-13-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: update
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

As you can see ~ Several of us saw and replied with the same outcome ... SLAM. The SLAM and Chlorine/CYA links below in my sig will help you get on-track.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone, I've got some reading to do before I go attack it!
    15,000 gallon AG pool
    City Water

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

And probably bleach to buy!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

#1 problem here is the chlorine level is too low. That is always the root cause of algae. Chlorine must always be maintained above the minimum level for the CYA level to keep the pool safely sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

In your case right now CYA is 60 and FC is 3. Minimum FC is 5 and target is 7. So, algae is growing in the pool right now. Run for the bleach!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

The numbers we were going off of said the minimum FC was 1 and ideal was 2-4...so we always thought we were doing pretty good! I've updated my chart to reflect that information.
    15,000 gallon AG pool
    City Water

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by sweetietweet View Post
    The numbers we were going off of said the minimum FC was 1 and ideal was 2-4...so we always thought we were doing pretty good! I've updated my chart to reflect that information.
    yes, unfortunately the pool industry has that completely wrong. Along with so many other things.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

So far after adding a ton of bleach I've got the FC up to 15.5 and the CC down to 1.0. Just started this process yesterday because I wanted to get the ph up another notch. I'll add some more bleach to try to get it up to 24 and I'll check it when I get home from work.
    15,000 gallon AG pool
    City Water

13. Back To Top    #13

We got the FC up to 22.5 by 7pm last night, CC is at 1.0. It looks a little better already. Still trying to get up to the 24 and then maintain that. Almost there!
    15,000 gallon AG pool
    City Water

14. Back To Top    #14

Progress is good! You are starting to get the upper-hand!

15. Back To Top    #15

Sweetietweet! Love it! CUTE name!

You are so heading in the right direction! Bleach is your friend right now. LOTS of bleach!

Please take a good picture of your pool each day. Take a pic of the steps is the best. What it will show you is the changes your do not notice if you just look at it every day. If you just use your eyes you will think nothing is happen where the pic will show the color change.

HUGS! You are doing it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, oddly enough I've had this screen name since middle school when I loved Tweety bird and I've never had the heart to part with it!
    15,000 gallon AG pool
    City Water