bad green algea

Jun 13, 2015
Fayetteville,NC
I have a 18x48 intex above ground with top blow up ring,,for the last two plus weeks I have been trying to clean up the green algea in the pool, adding chemicals and vacuuming with little to no success. the algea sinks to the bottom and I vacuum which only stirs it back up. I have been thinking of draining it and starting all over but from what I have read that's the wrong thing to do plz help,,,very frustrated:(:-? I am new as of today to this site and forum.

Last edited:
Welcome....noticed your other post but in case you check back here.....check out these links. You do need to post some test results from a good test kit.

MUST READS:
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Here are the activated links. :) I think that if you copy from the reply with quote screen it will bring over the active links.

TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

- - - Updated - - -

Although, given the small size of the pool it might be better to drain and start over. You will still need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the pool because algae will still be left behing.

Check this and see if you like this option better.
Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

The real key to avoiding algae in the first place is to maintain the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times. Chlorine CYA Chart It also keeps your pool properly sanitized and safe.

Generally 5,000 gallons is the cut off for recommending a drain/refill rather than try to fix a green pool.

Once you drain and refill you need to keep the chlorine level up to avoid it going green.

Welcome to TFP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.