My first pool

Hello all, Looking forward to absorbing good info from this forum! I just purchased my first pool, used and disassembled, off of craigslist. Yikes!
I am going to try and get this pool installed and working well as soon as possible. My children ages 8, 10 and 15 are not very patient. They are out of school for 3 months. I plan to do all the work myself. I believe I have the tools and skills to pull this off. Time will tell.

Welcome! :wave:

Avail yourself of the search function and past threads. Tip: when looking in a particular forum, like Above Ground Pools, go down near the bottom and select a longer time frame than the default two weeks. Then look for
paperclip.png
because that means pictures.

This is one of my favorite threads. I need advice on leveling my ground.
Levelling is the worst yet most important part of installing an above-ground pool. Do you really want to get in and notice the water is 2" closer to the lip on one side than the other? Take the time to do it right. Hand those kids shovels. And remember that the liner is very thin. It's going to be like paint. It won't do anything to the surface it's applied to but change the color. So make sure it's tamped and rolled and smoothed and whatever before the liner goes down.

And order up a proper test kit now so you'll have it when you need it. It's difficult to find one of the recommended test kits in stock at any pool store.

Thanks for the reply. I own a skid steer that I plan to use to level the ground. I am a very particular fellow, so everything has to be just right. I am attempting to do all this on as low a budget as possible. I think I can pull it all off for 2 grand or less. I have acquired for free 28 concrete pavers for under the legs. I was planning to use 2 inches sand on top of the dirt/clay and build the cove out of sand as well. I can get the mortar sand for $150 delivered. After reading a little Im starting to think crush and run and foam would be a better bottom. I need to do more research. I want to do this right the first time.

The screenings (available at Sunrock or a quarry near you down there) is sort of "gravel dust" I think it might get it's name because it is screened or filtered out from the larger rock sizes.

It will compact remarkably....much like crush and run.....but has no large rocks (1/4" may be the biggest) and will stay in place and not wash like sand can do.

Some people get it smooth enough that they don't use anything but most use some type of liner....I certainly would use something but I do not know what to suggest.