Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CH, Fiberglass Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

High CH, Fiberglass Pool

Is high CH (375) an issue with a fiberglass pool?
    19,800 gal fiberglass pool; Hayward Pro sand filter (S244T) w/ vari-flo xl valve; 1.5 hp challenger pump; Aquarite SWG w/ T-15 cell; Dolphin DX3 auto vacuum; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CH, Fiberglass Pool

It could an issue be if the pH and TA were allowed to get too high. Under the right (wrong) conditions, scale can form on the walls. It's like grow-your-own sandpaper.

I, personally, don't consider 375 high at all. In the five years I've owned my pool, I've never been that low. It just requires a little more care. Post your test results and you can get some specific advice.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Coming down from a SLAM, still dialing in my SWG % and pump run time:

5:45pm yesterday:
    FC 4.5
    CC 0.0
    TA 80
    CYA 50
    pH 7.5
    salt 3000

Added 4 lbs stabilizer and 40 lbs salt to raise my CYA to 75 and salt to 3200. Let pump run overnight, w/ SWG set to 100%, to mix.

06:30am today:
    FC 7.5
    CC 0.0
    salt 3200
    didn't test anything else.
    19,800 gal fiberglass pool; Hayward Pro sand filter (S244T) w/ vari-flo xl valve; 1.5 hp challenger pump; Aquarite SWG w/ T-15 cell; Dolphin DX3 auto vacuum; TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

When I plug your numbers into poolmath, and call the water 82F, CSI is -.26. There's no risk of scaling when the number is negative.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I saw that too. Although the water temp is closer to 90. Just wanted to double check.