Homemade Skmmer

ozzy47

May 11, 2015
Chicago, IL
Here is pics of the homemade skimmer. The right pipe sucks in, and has a p trap to prevent air getting sucked in. The left pipe is set in such a way it makes the water rotate in a clockwise manner, bringing everything to the suction on the skimmer. :)

photo 1.jpg

photo 2a.jpg

I should also note, this is a separate pump from the main one. So there is two of these pumps in the pool. The one that came with it, and the skimmer one, which is on the opposite side of the original. :swim:

Yeah, good work. Circular water circulation does seem to be the key to keeping the surface moving and clean. That is some plumbing/pool engineering genius!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like the sink strainer might accommodate a standard vacuum hose. True or false? And is the one hooked to the filter the same?

Actually it is a offset floor drain, but I could probably make it so a vacuum hose could attach to it.

Hey! What's This?? The new guy on the block showin' up us old timers? :bowdown:

LOL, just a little bit of backyard beer plumbing.

Did u put an actual filter inside or did u make a basket screen of some sort?

I am using the actual filter, I don't get alot of big stuff floating in the pool, just cottonwood and bugs.

Just a update on this. It is amazing how well it is working. The pump/filter that came with the pool barely needs to be cleaned. The skimmer pump/filter needs to be cleaned twice a week. It is interesting on all of the crud I have to wash out of the filter. I would suggest to anyone to do a similar setup with their intex pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.