Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long does it take for ph to raise after adding baking soda?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long does it take for ph to raise after adding baking soda?

Hello. The past 4 days or so, we did a SLAM. Yesterday, FC was 7.5 and ph was 7.1. I added 1/2 large bag of baking soda (7 lbs) to bring ph up. This morning, I tested and fc was at 3.5 and ph only came up to 7.2. I added 1/2 jug of bleach to bring up to 4 fc. If the baking soda worked, should it show up in my test today yet? Or should I add more? Using the Taylor k-2006. Thanks!
    40,000 gallon vinyl in-ground SWG (but we think it's broken) so we don't use as a SWG. Cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 kit. Well water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long does it take for ph to raise after adding baking soda?

I had thought you can not reliably test ph during a SLAM.
    20x40 L-shape 35k gallons, Pentair FNS 60 SQFT DE Filter, Pentair Multi-port Valve, Hayward Super Pump w/1 glorious HP, Vinyl Liner, Dolphin Z5, TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

It is true that PH readings will be erratic during a SLAM. If you just finished, and your FC level is still quite high based on your CYA, it could be throwing that PH reading off. However I see no CYA reading to compare to. So I would suggest posting a full set of test results (FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA) so we can better assist you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The basic issue is baking soda is NOT how you raise pH

pH up - 20 mule team borax

pH down - Muriatic acid

TA up - Baking soda

TA down - aeration and acid...it's process found in Pool School that you must read to make TA change quickly and permanently

On a different subject, you should not test pH when your FC is over 10 ppm....you get a false high reading.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Geez, good point Dave. That one was so clear I didn't even key-in on it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, okay thanks. I tested ph yesterday when we were done with our slam - just waiting on fc to go back to around 4. We put enough cya in 2 or 3 days ago to get up to 30. Someone said don't bother testing cya for about a week because it wouldn't show up in there. I looked on pool math and saw soda ash and thought that was baking soda! Hopefully I didn't increase my TA too much.
    Yesterday, before I put in the baking soda, there were my readings:
    FC 7.5
    CC 0
    ph 7.1
    TA 80
    40,000 gallon vinyl in-ground SWG (but we think it's broken) so we don't use as a SWG. Cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 kit. Well water.

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, I see now. Not to worry, we all get our lines crossed from time to time. Now that we see your most current numbers, you could use a little Borax to get your PH to the recommended level of at least 7.5. You are correct about the CYA not showing up for a few days. But assuming you added enough stabilizer to get you to a starting point of 30, then your FC target would be 4.

Just to make sure though ... you did in-fact pass all 3 SLAM criteria right? We hope. So the water is crystal clear and all you are concerned about now is adjusting your PH a bit right? If so, I think you have a good way forward. If you have any other concerns about your water or recent SLAM, by all means please ask.

8. Back To Top    #8

I used two pounds of baking soda and raised TA from 80 to 90...so your TA should be easily over 110. Now get some borax and use the pool calc to figure how much to add to increase your pH.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes we passed the SLAM test : ) I just put in borax so hopefully that will raise our ph a little. Luckily, our TA only rose to 90 today from 80 yesterday before I put in the baking soda. I don't know why we seem to need to add at least twice the amount of everything recommended on pool math - maybe our pool is larger than we suspect? Thanks everyone!